38. Sticky Pt. 1 (*)

Shawnie's POV

"Hey!" He says

"Hey!" He says

"Shawnie, do you know this fool?" Joe asks

I couldn't get any words out. I was so shocked by who was standing in front of me.

"Are you gonna give me a hug or are you just gonna stand there?" He steps forward, but Joe pushes him back.

"Nah, back the fuck back." Joe says pushing him away from me.

"No—No Joe, it's okay." I just stand there looking at him. Shocked.

Joe takes a step back.

"Can we talk? I'd love to catch up." He says

I look at Joe. I honestly don't know why I'm looking at Joe. My mind has completely gone blank. I literally have no thoughts in my head right now.

"Shawnie?" The guy says

"Do you know him?" Joe asks

"..... yeah. Yes, I know him..." I managed to get out.

"So what do you wanna do? Are you gonna talk to him or do you want me to get you outta here?"

"Damn, it's like that?" He looks at me as if he's amused but in disbelief as well.

I finally kind of snap out of shock and really focus on who is standing in front of me. I cannot believe I am standing face-to-face with Christian Middlebrooks.

"No. It's not. I'm sorry, you have to excuse me. I'm just in complete shock. Christiaaannn?"

He laughs, "I knooo!" Holding his arms out.

I run over and jump into his arms. He hugged me so tight while swinging me from side to side. We stayed like that for a long few seconds and then he put me down. I glance at Joe and he's looking Christian up and down.

"What are you doing in San Diego?" He asks

"Just on a little vacation, what about you? Why are you here?"

"I stuck with the plan." He says and I kind of feel like that's a jab.

"Oh... I see."

"Were you guys on your way out? Can you stay a couple minutes longer and talk to me?" He asks

"Of course, but not too much longer because Aubrey is bringing my son over."

"Ten minutes?" He asks

"Yeah." I look over at Joe, and he looks at me like he didn't want to escort me anywhere.

"Come on." He says

We follow him to the truck. He unlocks the doors and we get into the back. Joe closes my door and stands outside while Christian and I talk.