81. Come Together

Shawnie's POV

The next morning, I woke up in Joe's bed. I slept damn good too. I haven't gotten sleep like that in a while probably since he left. Maybe my stress isn't the reason I've been getting bad sleep, maybe it's the fact that I didn't feel safe enough to get the sleep, or maybe it was because Joe wasn't there, I don't know.

I reach over to the nightstand and I grab my phone. The time was 12:38. I can't believe I slept that long. I turned around to see if Joe was still laying there and of course he wasn't. I slowly got out of bed and grabbed his robe, wrapping it around me. I go to the bathroom and fix my hair to make it look presentable and splash some water on my face. I always carry a toothbrush in my bag so I brushed my teeth as well. Olivia was having everything delivered this morning so I should have everything to get myself together shortly.

I walked out of the bedroom, and I saw Joe sitting on the couch in a lime green shirt, black shorts and black cats on his feel. His hair was up in a bun with some hanging out the bottom. He was  laid back on the sofa talking on the phone. I looked in the kitchen and saw roses sitting in a vase on the kitchen table.

"Yeah, I know mom...she's awake now. I'll call you later." He smiles at me and ends the call. "Good morning!"

"Good afternoon!" I say. "Are those for me?"

"Yes." He says with a smile.

"Thank you. I can't believe I slept that long."

"It's all good!" He says

"That was your mom?" I ask

"Yeah..."

"How is she?"

"She's great. She wants to meet you."

"Aw really? I would love to meet your mom." I'm flattered she would want to meet me. I'm all for it.

"I don't know about all that."

"Why not? That's not making long-term decisions or taking relationship steps, just your friend meeting your mother." I say with a smile.

"But.... it makes me feel like my girlfriend is meeting my mom."

"Joe, we have an understanding that we will be strictly friends and keep things how they are and if either one of us decides that we want something more then that's on us. You don't wanna be in a relationship and neither do I, so I don't know about you, but I plan on keeping it that way."

"My mom is just...so extra and she makes me nervous sometimes."

"Stop making it a big deal out of nothing." I say

"I guess you're right. I have met your dad and a lot of your family and you've only met my cousins.... It's fine..." he laughs. "She wants me to pick her up some groceries anyway so I guess you'll just ride with me and you can meet her."

"Yay!" I say clapping my hands.

"Why do you want to meet my mom?" He asks

"I don't know, seems right." I say

"I got you something else—."

We were interrupted by a knock on the door. Joe walks over and answers.

"Hi..."

"I'm Olivia, Shawnie's assistant. These are for her." I hear.

"Hey!!" I walk over to the door and Joe takes my bags.

"Come in. I didn't know you were going to deliver them yourself." I'm super surprised she flew here just to bring me clothes.

"I tried to order them, but they said like two or three days, so I just said I'll go buy everything and jump on a flight." She says with a smile.