109. Shot For Me

Shawnie's POV

The next day I woke up, took a shower and got back in bed with Joe. I was determined to not let the events from last night affect my day. My birthday was tomorrow and Joe had something planned but he wouldn't tell me exactly what it was. He was keeping it a secret, and my curiosity was piqued. The anticipation added a layer of excitement to the day, and I looked forward to whatever he had in store for me.

Chris was picking up Gen for some thing he wanted her to go with him. Aubrey still had Atlas but he was supposed to be dropping him off today. He hasn't said anything to me since last night. I feel like things are going to be different between us now, which they should. Joe isn't having any of his games and if he scared some sense into him, I'm not complaining.

Joe was asleep on his stomach and as I always do, I laid on his back, wrapping my arms around him as the rest of my body was on the bed. I placed a kiss on his back and he spoke.

"Good morning." He says

"Good morning, baby."

"What's up?" He asks and I just laugh.

"I know you're in thought. This is my thing not yours." He says.

I smiled against his back. "Your thing?"

"Yeah, I'm always on your back. What's up?"

"You know me too well. I was just thinking about what you might have planned for my birthday tomorrow. The suspense is killing me."

Joe chuckled softly. "You'll find out soon enough. But enough about that, I know that's not bothering you. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"Do you think we can continue this happiness?"

He moves to turn on his back and I lay on his chest.

"With work. Yeah, why? You don't think so? You're happy now aren't you?" He asks

I nestled my head against his chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. "I am happy, Joe. Happier than I've ever been. I guess sometimes, I just worry that life might throw us a curveball."

Joe stroked my hair gently. "Life's full of surprises, babe. But we've been through a lot already, and we're still here, stronger than ever. We'll handle whatever comes our way, together."

"It's just that I'm so used to things starting off perfect then everything falling apart. I just know this isn't going to last." I say

"I'm not them. I know you have some insecurities based on relationships in your past but I can assure you, I'm nothing like them. You know what I have to offer and you know the kind of man I am. I'm going to make sure you're confident in choosing me. You know how I am and I'm not like this with anyone. I have never been this close to anyone in my life. I'm all in. I'm never something you have to worry about when it comes to this." He explains.

I looked up at Joe, his sincerity evident in his eyes and words. His reassurance warmed my heart. "I do know you're different, Joe. You've proven that to me time and time again. I guess I just need to learn to let go of those insecurities and fully embrace what we have. I'm working on it, I promise."

He smiled,  "That's all I ask, Shawnie. We'll keep building this happiness together, day by day."

"Doubt just always seeps in, but don't get me wrong, I love being here with you." I admitted.

"I love you being here with me. You know, I don't believe in fate and all that bullshit, but I kind of feel like my sister sent you to me." Joe said.

"Funny, you say that because I was under the assumption that maybe my mom sent you to me." I replied, feeling the connection between us grow even stronger.