110. Tried Our Best

Shawnie's POV

The next day marked my birthday. This year I was excited. I mean I was excited for all my birthdays but this one felt different. I don't know what it was.

I woke up to breakfast in bed, prepared by Joe and Atlas. Gen was with Chris, who had picked her up not long after Aubrey left yesterday, as he had something planned with her. I just think he wanted to give me the day.

I also woke up to an abundance of blue rose bouquets all over my room, at least thirty of them, filling the space with their beauty and fragrance. I love it so much. It was a breathtaking sight and a heartwarming start to my birthday. Damn, Joe is so thoughtful.

"This is beautiful, Joe." I say, taking in the sight of the room adorned with blue roses.

Joe placed the breakfast tray beside me as I sat up, and Atlas enthusiastically joined me on the bed, wrapping his little arms around me.

"Happy birthday, mommy." Atlas said, hugging me tightly.

"Aw, thank you, baby." Atlas released the hug and handed me a small bag. "Oh, you got me a gift?"

"It's from me and daddy." he replied. I looked over at Joe, who simply shrugged.

"Open it." Joe encouraged. 

I reached into the bag and pulled out a card, reading it to myself. It made me burst into laughter, and when I noticed Joe looking at me, I shared the humor.

"The cover says, 'I work hard so my ex-wife can have a good life.'" I explained, then opened the card to read what Aubrey wrote. "I wish you all the happiness in the world. You're an amazing woman and mother to our son. I love you and I always will. The first gift I ever got you was a $50,000 gift card. I feel like it's fitting for that to be the last too. Happy Birthday, Mami!"

Atlas reached into the bag and took out the gift card, and I couldn't help but smile at the sentiment. This was thoughtful as well.

"Thank you." I give Atlas another hug and put everything back in the bag and sit it in the nightstand.

"That wasn't supposed to happen." Joe says and I laugh. "So I have the day planned for you. Right now just have a good breakfast and we'll go from there."

"Eat with me." I say

"That's what little man is for. I still have a couple of things to work out, make sure it's running as it should. I'll send Dori up but when you're done, hair and makeup is downstairs with a stylist." He says

"You thought of everything!"

"It's your day. I had to. I don't think you'll talk to me if I fucked this up." He smiled, kissed me on the forehead and left.

I knows he's joking. He's trying to make everything perfect for me and I appreciate that but I just want him to stay with me.

I look at Atlas and he's picking bacon off of my plate. "Let's call daddy and thank him."

I grab my phone and call Aubrey. He answers after the second ring.

"Hey, Mami! Happy birthday!" He answers

"Thank you and thank you for the gift."

"You see what I did." He laughs.

"Thoughtful. You've always been a good gift giver and the fact that you thought of the first gift you ever got me means you put thought into it. Thank you, Aubrey."

"I didn't want to overstep. I already got you the pieces from the line, I just wanted to get something simple. What I didn't tell you is that you get all the profit for the sales. I don't get anything."