39. Sticky Pt. 2

Shawnie's POV

I look at him and he doesn't look too excited. I'm in complete shock again. Wasn't he just saying that he would jump at the chance to get back with me?

"I'm sorry, what?" I say, looking for him to repeat.

He chuckles a little, then looks down at the ground. "Yeah. I said it...I'm engaged ...."

"Really?" I smile, "What's her name?"

"Her name is Shelby. She's from here and she's a nurse at the hospital. She's really sweet."

It's nice that he's engaged. I'm genuinely happy for him. Christian definitely deserves it because he's such a good man. He was a good man when we were younger, so I know he's going to make her happy.

"Okay. But how are you saying you want to jump at another chance with me? You're engaged?"

"Because that's how serious I am and how serious I've been about this." He says

"I've wanted the same thing but let's be realistic. It's a nice thought..."

"I love the thought of it. I wish we both were single, so we can just—."

"Be together again." I finish his sentence. "...we were close, best friends. I'm just happy to have you back in my life." I say. "Let's stick with that. I need good friends."

"Okay. And I'm not gonna let your little boyfriend run me out this time."

"Marcel told me you guys made up. Is that true?" I ask

"Hell naw! I still wanna fuck that man up." He says

"Wow. He lied about that too. That's crazy. I broke up with him and that was one of the reasons I took him back."

"You never called to find out either."

"I deleted your number." I confess

"Damn, Ma. Why?"

"I don't know." I lied.

"That hurt my feelings a bit. I thought you would reach out but you never did and I know why now. I thought you were happy. I thought maybe y'all had gotten your shit together."

"No, but we were good for a while, then it went downhill again." I say

"Again, I'm sorry."

"...it's not your fault. It's mine." I say

"Don't blame yourself for him being a coward and an asshole. You couldn't control that shit. Just be glad it's over, you've moved on and had a better life than he could ever have, or given you."

"You're right and I have, but sometimes it just bothers me." I admit

"I understand that but you can't let that ruin experiences in your life or experiences with people." He says

"He broke me."

"And someone helped put you back together." He says. "I can see that Chris really helped you. I don't know much but I know you, and I watched you change. That's all I'm going to say about it."

"Yeah, he's a good person, that Christopher." I smile

"I owe him. I feel like he did what I was supposed to do. He stepped up."

"You act like I'm your responsibility and I'm not. Especially when I haven't talked to you in years." I say

"Some shit just doesn't go away..."

"Don't I know it." We share a knowing look.

"What are the odds that we would run into each other?" He smiles, changing the subject.