49. Keep The Family Close

Shawnie's POV

Joe and I had just arrived at this super expensive restaurant I had never heard of. We drove up to LA specifically for this reason. Aubrey said it's urgent that I come up to have dinner with him. I tried to get out of it but he was very persistent.

"I'll walk you in and I'll stay close. The second you're uncomfortable, call for me and I'll get you out of there. I'll have eyes on you the whole time." He says

"Okay." I put my phone in my purse and looked over at Joe. He was staring out of the windshield, looking like he was upset about something.

"Is everything okay?"

He takes a long blink. "...Yeah. I just don't like you being in a private room with him alone."

"I know that but something else is bothering you." I say

"I'm good."

"No it's not. What's up? You act like we haven't been together 24/7 for the last few months. What's up with you?"

He takes a deep breath and lets it out. Joe looked visibly bothered. I've actually never seen him like this so I was very concerned.

"We can talk more in depth about this later but I want you to stop paying me."

"What? Stop paying you, why?" I ask

"I don't think I should get paid to do something like this." He says

"Like what? Security? Why? Are you quitting?"

"Nah, I'm not quitting. Shawnie—. Chill." He laughs a little.

I pause. "Well what do you mean? I've gotten so comfortable with you and I've only been like this with one other person. I trust you, Joe. I really trust you."

"I know you do. I shouldn't have said anything. I assure you, I'm not going anywhere. We can talk more about this after your dinner with him." He says, placing his hand on mine.

"Okay..."

He doesn't say anything else he just gets out of the car and walks over to my side, he opens the door for me and escorts me inside.

Paparazzi were everywhere so I'm assuming that he was already here. There's nothing like LA paps. The flashes and lights were blinding as we walked into the building. They were taking pictures of me and Joe. They tried to start rumors about Joe and I when he first started working for me, but you know Aubrey shut that shit down as soon as they tried it. I did not miss this and this is exactly why I moved down to San Diego. There were some paps out there but never this invasive, it is extreme. Of course since Aubrey pulled that stunt on my birthday, now people know where I live now.

We found our way into the private room where Aubrey was. A couple of his security guards were standing outside of the room. We walked in and Joe pulled out my chair and I took a seat. Aubrey watches as Joe walks off and out of the room. He closes the door behind him. Aubrey then turns his attention to me. He plastered a smile on his face.

"Thank you for meeting me..." Aubrey says

"Publicly." I say, looking around. He isn't fooling anyone. He wants these pictures floating around for a reason. Of course to make him look good.

"Yes, publicly. Amanda thought it'll be good to get us photographed looking happy after what happened at the Tiffany's event and your house." He says

"I didn't know that was live but you shouldn't have showed up at my house with a camera crew."

"I should've told you. I apologize, that was my bad. I just wanted to do something nice for you. We had been fighting, we were in a fight. I should've answered your calls but honestly I was scared you would break up with me."