I really believed you were into me - j.o

(high school au)

In which she falls in love with you, straining your relationship with him

Listen to: Unrequited Love (& Other Cliches) - Breakup Shoes

Sometimes, you felt as if you had the worst luck in the world. Almost every single class one of them was there, if you were even unluckier, both would be there. Beside each other, whispering and giggling to each other. They were in front of you during science, beside him during english, and in front of her during math. They were the prettiest couple in the school. They weren't one of those couples that makeout in the hall, but they were one of those couples where you couldn't decide who you would want to be in that relationship.

You envied him. You wanted his life, his hair, his body. But most of all, you wanted to be the one who made her smile everyday. Her smiled killed everyone, it could light up a room, her dimples just simply adding onto her beauty.

You had simply fallen in love with her, from a distance of course. You wouldn't dare go after her. 

There were rumors spreading around about them. Saying that she had cheated on him, once, maybe twice. There was no way for anyone else to know. You watched as the two of them distanced.

But why?

You knew that they were in love, that they were so happy. They were perfect. What happened to the picture perfect couple? They had started arguing in the halls, so often now. Instead of whispering and giggling together, they sat away from each other. He would sit beside you, a scowl on his face, she would be near the front.

You wanted to ask what was wrong. You felt bad. You would listen through the walls, hearing them argue on and on about some unknown person. Soon enough, you managed to piece together that she had fallen in love with someone else.

But he wasn't like that, you knew him like the back of your hand, he wouldn't be lashing out like he has been now. 

Who had she fallen in love with?

That was the question that the whole school had. Everyone had their conspiracies, wondering which guy on the sports teams it could be. It all seemed off, who else could she love more than him. 

You watched as she tried to keep her chin high, despite all the stares on her. You felt terrible.

There was one particular argument that you watched. It ended nastily. Hell, if you were in her place, you would've cried on the spot. But she just simply turned, a tear slipping down, walking to the bathroom. You went after her, not seeing the glare that he gave you.

"Jenna?" You asked, meekly. You heard sobbing in one of the stalls. You knocked on the door. "Want to talk about it?" She didn't answer you. You just sat down by her, on the other side of the door. "Whenever you want to start, I'll be here."

It was quiet, all you heard was some sniffling. You tried not to act disgusted. "The floor's disgusting." You whispered to yourself, trying not to touch many surfaces. You heard her let out a small, very quiet laugh. It made you smile. And it was just that, you making weird little comments, making her let out quiet laughs until she was able to get up and get out of the stall.

When she had gotten out, she helped you up. You stared at her face, her bright smile no longer there, instead she had red and puffy eyes from the crying. You sat on the sink, watching her wet her face. 

"My brother's a little bitch." You muttered. "I'm so sorry that you've been going through this."

"No, it's my fault." She let out a laugh, that sounded more like a sob. "I'm a terrible girlfriend."

You shook your head. "Jenna- no. I used to hear him go on and on about you and what you do. He loves you. You're an amazing girlfriend." 

She hesitated, wanting to say something. "It's okay, thank you, y/n." She took in a deep breath before leaving the bathroom.

You were even more suspicious than before. What was going on?

It stumped you. You had thought about it for hours. So, you went to go ask your brother, but he had been avoiding you. 

You cornered him during school. "What the fuck is going on?" You questioned.

"Not now. Y/n." He grumbled, trying to leave, but you were stopping him.

"No, seriously. I'm your sister, and I deserve to know." You hated saying that, but you were desperate for answers. You both started to go back and forth, him refusing to tell you, and you were pressing him for an answer.

"Fine! You wanna know?" He yelled, making you flinch and jump back. "It's your fucking fault, y/n! Yours." He slapped you. You froze, taking in deep breaths, not wanting to hit him back. He shoved past you, stomping away.

Your cheek was red, but you stood still. There was a crowd around you guys, you felt embarrassed. You felt like Jenna in that moment. You didn't even know she was watching until you passed by her to get to the parking lot. 

It didn't hit you until she called out your name right before you got into your car. You felt your shoulders tense.

It was you.

She had fallen in love with you.

"Fuck." You cursed, getting into your car. She had just caught up to you. She knocked onto the window.

"Open the door, y/n." Her voice was muffled behind the door. You looked at her, tears in your eyes. 

You lowered the window. "What do you want, Jenna." Your voice cracked, feeling guilt.

"It's not your fault." She said, referring to what happened earlier. "It's not your fault, okay, it was mine." You opened your mouth to say something, but nothing could come out. 

Tears started flowing, her eyes softened, but you couldn't look at her. "My brother, my best friend, he hates me because you- you-" You couldn't finish your sentence. You loved your brother dearly, you didn't know what you could do without him. He was your backbone, you being his. You both had a rough childhood, so you both supported each other. You didn't think that a girl could come in between you guys. You also didn't think he would hit you. Ever. But you were wrong.

Jenna just watched you, wanting to help, but she knew you needed to think. "I'll go." She whispered.

"No." You stopped her. "I- I don't even know why I'm crying." You wiped your eyes, getting out of the car, going to find your brother to talk to him. She lead you to where he was, a closet. She left you two to talk.