I wonder how I managed to end up in this place where I couldn't get away, pa (1)

In which you both fight to survive (1)

Listen to: Borderline - Tame Impala

zombie apocalypse au!

"Phoebe! Watch out!" You swung a metal pipe across, getting it off of her. You cocked your gun, the bullet lodging it's place in the head. "You good?" You held out your hand for her to take. 

She gladly took it, brushing herself off. "I'm so done with these fuckers." She grumbled as she walked alongside you. 

"We'll be fine. Don't worry about it. We're gonna make it to Bee's soon." You reassured, reloading the gun in hand. 

She huffed. "We would've been fine had we not gone off." You rolled your eyes, she was a bit pissed at you for forcing her to go along with you to smuggle.

"But we got more shit." You shook your bag that was holding supplies. "It was worth it."

"It's different, y/n! It's more dangerous for me." She argued, walking backwards. "You're lucky you're immune."

You sighed, guilt filling your gut. "I'm sorry, okay?" She was a few steps ahead of you. "Look, I swear to you, I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. There is and was no way I'm letting you get bit."

_____

"Y/n!" You shot up the zombie that was on you. You saw Phoebe struggling to push the one on top of her. You held up the gun and squeezed the trigger. It clicked.

"Fuck! No ammo." You charged at the zombie, tackling it off of her. You kicked it away, grabbing your knife. As it jumped onto you, you stuck the knife inside of it. You got up, panting. Phoebe was wincing, holding her side. "Shit, are you okay?" You fell to your knees, pulling up her shirt to see the wound. "It's not a bite, don't worry." You brought her over to a log.

"I'm not gonna turn?" You shook your head, wrapping her side. "Holy shit, thank god."

"I'll have to fix it up properly when we get back, we gotta hurry." You helped her up. You stayed behind by a few steps. "We should've taken the horses."

Phoebe huffed. "No, it hurts to ride." She turned to you once she realized. "Don't."

"That's what she said." You joked, earning a smack from the girl in front of you. "Ow." Her eyes caught onto a patch of blood that soaked through your shirt.

"Shit, you're bleeding." She pointed to your shoulder, making you furrow your eyebrows. You pulled up your shirt to see another bite on your shoulder. "Oh my god."

You grunted while you poked it. "That's why it hurts." You wrapped your own shoulder to stop the bleeding, with a little help from Phoebe. "Okay, I'm good. Let's move on." 

It was quiet between the two of you. Phoebe often just took a small break to relax and take in everything, you couldn't tear your eyes away from her. You admired her, she was so strong for getting through this for so long. You knew there were multiple like you, immune when it comes to getting bitten, you were lucky. Phoebe survived, you believed that she fought harder for her place in the world than you have.

The two of you were friends, best friends. You had escaped from a gang, falling into the small town that quite a few survivors turned to. This was a town that not many people knew about, but it was pretty much thriving. They let you in when they realized that you were pretty much a child. 

When you were a kid, you were studied and tested. People wanted to know why you were immune. Once you hit 16, you grabbed a few guns and ran. You never knew how people knew about you, how you were immune. You never showed it, and you never said anything about it. You were like a legend, the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.