|XI|

"Heart Monitor: Part II"

________________

"I know what happened, but does anyone else?"

----------

Casey was in the Animal Clinic with Alan Deaton, when Derek walked into the room and Casey's eyes were confused.

"Derek... what are you doing here right now?" Casey asked and at the sight of him, she spotted the rather dangerous look in his eyes, it was a warning to all. "Derek?" She asked.

"Can I help you?" Doctor Alan Deaton kept his cool, which was rather unsurprising to anyone, who knew what his profession had been along with the veterinarian title for the longest time.

"I hope so. I want to know about the animal that you found with the spiral on its side?" Derek asked and Alan looked over at Casey, who had finally realized what piece of information, that Derek hadn't known about.

"Excuse me?" Alan Deaton was trying to sound confused and to an extent, he succeeded. "What animal?" Deaton would have sounded confused to anyone else unless they were a hunter who was trained to see when someone was lying, or a supernatural being, who could hear heartbeats.

But unfortunately right now, he was just dealing with a werewolf who had some seriously emotional and some definite grieving issues to work out. "Three months ago. The deer." Derek opened the piece of paper and he held it up for them both to see. "You remember this? Or Casey, do you?" He asked.

"I was the first one on the scene, D, but, I don't know anything about it at all. No way, Derek, or else I would have told Laura." Casey remarked at once, recognizing the fragile barrier that was cracking around Derek.

Actually right now it was more of a dam, just to keep the emotions in. But it was cracking, and if she could see it, then there was trouble. "Oh, yes. It's just a deer. And I didn't find it. Casey found it. They only called me because they wanted to know, if I had ever seen anything like it before." Deaton was lying and unfortunately for him, Derek could hear his heartbeat.

"What'd you tell 'em?" Derek asked.

"Derek..." Casey warned.

"Stay out of this, Casey!" Derek's snappish tone of voice startled Casey, whose jaw slammed shut at the tone and he glanced at her briefly, as she was looking at the floor and her arms were crossed over her chest.

"I told them no." Deaton said.

"Did you hear that?" Derek asked as he began to walk forward and Casey's eyes were burning into him, and, she was walking in between them.

"Derek, don't--"

"I said, stay out of this Casey." Derek shoved Casey out of the way, harder than he meant to as Casey was thrown back into the metal table and she hit the ground, coughing, and she gritted her teeth in pain. "The sound of your heartbeat rising."

"Excuse me?" Deaton asked.

"Derek, stop." Casey rasped and Deaton's eyes went to her, as Casey was trying to get back onto her feet. "I know how angry you are, but you don't get it." She whispered.

"It's the sound of you lying." Derek ignored Casey's words completely, as he snapped at Deaton and he grabbed the vet, knocking him out quickly.

Casey was holding her side and Derek's eyes shifted over, to where she was leaning against the counter and Casey winced. "Are you okay?" Derek asked and Casey shook her head a little. "Is it a rib?" He asked.