hanni › crybaby

TRIGGER WARNING:
[ bullying, physical violence ]

***

When you were little, you were picked on a lot by the older kids in your elementary school for crying so much. They would bother you during recess and purposefully do things to make you cry, they would throw things at you in the classroom with the same goal (to make you cry), and they would steal your food at lunch with, again, the same goal.

And it always worked.

But there was one girl who always stood up for you through it all.

FLASHBACK:
TWELVE YEARS AGO

You stumbled forward as you were pushed from your seat on the swing set. Your bottom lip trembled as your fingers picked at a loose string on the sleeve of your yellow sweater.

"That was mean!" You stuttered out. You tried to make an angry face, but the tears were already rolling, your lips were already pouted, and your eyes were wide with upset.

One of the boys stuck his tongue out and said, "Who cares? No matter what we do or don't do, you'd cry anyways, ulbo!"

A girl squatted down in front of you and poked your forehead with a nasty smile on her face. "My mommy says I'm better than all of the other girls because I don't cry all the time like you, L/N Y/N." She quipped happily, although she was continuously jabbing your forehead with enough force to send you back.

You sniffled once. Then twice. And then you started wailing.

The girls and boys standing around you all widened their eyes at the loud sound, and they scrambled away from you.

It was silent around you, minus your cries, which began to die out into quiet sniveling again.

Then you felt a hand on your shoulder and a presence sitting down next to you on the uncomfortable mulch ground.

"Are you okay?!" A loud voice asked.

You turned to your left and saw a little girl your age looking at you with wide, concerned eyes. You recognized her from your class.

Hami, I think? No... Hana? Ani, ani. Ah! Hanni!

"Hanni?" You questioned quietly.

A bright smile spread across her face as she giggled. You couldn't help the small smile that won your lips after seeing hers. It was contagious.

She giggled again as she introduced herself dramatically. "Yep! Hanni Pham, at your service. Nice to meet you, Y/N! You're really pretty, by the way! I stare at you a lot in class, too, did you know? Did you, did you, did you?" She seemed very hyper.

You shook your head shyly, looking up at her with doe eyes. You raised your hand to wipe your tears, but paused when you felt soft fingers wiping them instead. You looked into Hanni's eyes as she stopped wiping them, however, keeping her hands on your red cheeks and squishing them around.

"Let's be friends forever, yeah?" Hanni asked, leaning in close to your face with a wide smile.

You smiled back and closed your eyes as you put your hands over hers.

"Sure thing."

FLASHBACK END.

And the bullying carried on into middle school. This time, besides being made fun of for crying all the time, it was also because you were considered a "nerd." You were often forced and threatened into doing others' homework. But Hanni always protected you.