(request) danielle › the danielle effect

You walked down the stairs quickly, a light pep in your step

You walked down the stairs quickly, a light pep in your step. You're coming back from the front office (your father had dropped off your lunchbox, which you forgot at home), and the bell is about to ring, so you decided to head to Danielle's class to meet her so that the two of you could walk to lunch together, just as you always do. You were excited to hear her talk about what she's done in the day so far, or her guesses for the day's lunch choice, or her plans for the week. Today was also a date night, so you were especially looking forward to that.

Upon reaching the hallway her biology class located in, you suddenly had the need to use the bathroom. So, following the urge, you approached the restroom, which was conveniently only a few feet away from you already.

And, oh, you wish you had never gone inside.

You wish that you had ignored your body's needs, because pressed against one of the sinks in the restroom and locking lips with your best friend was your girlfriend. Danielle.

Her arms were wrapped around someone else's neck, not yours. Her lips were kissing someone else's, not yours.

This wasn't real, it wasn't happening. How could it be? Danielle and Haerin would never do this, right? If you pinched yourself, would you wake up? Or if it truly is reality, maybe if you had never walked in on what was happening, you could've carried on with your day, blissfully unaware of the truth. In this moment, your heart felt like that would've been better.

Your eyes were wide with pure shock and disbelief as you couldn't take them off of the scene in front of you. You didn't even realize you were crying until you felt a teardrop reach the tip of your chin and then drop to hit the floor beneath you.

Your girlfriend was really kissing your best friend.

After a few moments, you wiped your tears and sighed, which caught the two's attention. They stared at you, surprised.

You and Danielle's relationship was a secret to everyone in school, even to your close friends, so you weren't upset over the fact that Haerin simply looked at you with a surprised yet confused expression. Danielle, however, looked mortified.

She quickly pushed Haerin away, startling the other. Danielle then tried to take a step towards you and even opened her mouth to speak, but you stopped her when you raised your hand, gesturing for her to not take another step. Her eyes watered.

"I don't want to hear it, Danielle. I saw everything I needed to." You scoffed to yourself and sniffled quietly, and then looked at both her and Haerin with a bitter smile as you stuffed your hands into your pockets. "You know, I really thought that we were going to have a future together, Danielle. We were gonna make it past our college years, get married, have a honeymoon, maybe even adopt a kid or two. You told me that you wanted the same. And if not that, then we promised we would at least stay together as long as possible. I guess this was as long as that lasted." You said.