(request) hanni › one-sided (pt. three)

With a shaky hand, you held the doorknob, twisted it, and then pushed the door open.

You were met with Haerin reading a book to Hanni. In the split second that it was, the atmosphere was warm and inviting-up until they noticed that it was you who entered the room.

You took a moment to take in the picture in front of you, which brought tears to your eyes.

Hanni was propped up in the hospital bed by a couple of pillows. She looked weak and tired, like a dull shell of how she once was not too long ago. You feel awful seeing her in this state; no different from yours. She had an IV drip standing tall beside her bed, bandages wrapped around her exposed left arm, and her leg was propped up and in a cast.

Haerin shut the book and stood from her seat, not saying a word as she exited the room, but not before giving you a passive look. You cast your gaze down to the ground as you shut the door behind you and shuffled further into the room.

You quietly and timidly took a seat on the chair at Hanni's bedside, and the two of you simply sat in silence. A tense one, at that.

"So, I-"

"I-"

You both looked at each other. You quickly spoke first. "Go ahead." You mumbled.

She nodded. "Look, I'm sorry. About the kiss. That was wrong of me, even if I was a bit tipsy. If you could do me a favor, just forget it ever happened." She stated quietly.

You didn't respond. Your face slowly crumbled, though. You let the first tear roll down your cheek. And then that one was followed by another one. And another one. And another one, until your cheeks were soaked. Even though you had your head down, she must've noticed your clenched fists and the tears falling, because she spoke up again.

"Hey..." She called out softly. "What are the tears for?"

"I- I-I-" You choked on your words and covered your mouth with your hand, your head still down. "I should be- be the one apologizing, not y-you, Han. Everythi-thing is my fault." You hiccuped as you looked up at her. Your face was red and stained with tears, and your eyebrows were furrowed due to your upset.

You watched as Hanni's eyes widened. "Y/N, no, it's not, I was the one who-"

You cut her off.

By kissing her.

More tears cascaded down your cheeks as you slowly kissed her. Her lips, despite her external appearance, were warm against yours. They were a little chapped, but that didn't stop you from enjoying every moment. Maybe this isn't all too bad. Maybe you do feel something for her, unlike what you used to think before everything happened.

But after pulling away, her next words broke your heart.

"I'm sorry, Y/N, but I can't do this with you."

.
.
.

You cleared your throat with wide eyes and a frown on your face. "But- But maybe we can make it work! Look, I'm sorry for how I acted on that night, I don't know what I was thinking, and-"

"That's the thing, Y/N!" Hanni interjected, raising her voice. Her eyes softened when she saw you flinch. "You're not thinking right now. I don't think you actually have feelings for me. You just can't stand me ignoring you, so you're telling me what you think I want to hear." She said. Her voice was softer this time.

She continued. "Y/N, it's okay if you don't have feelings for me. I've taken this time to come to terms with it, and it's honestly fine, I'm not hurt like I was that night. I understand completely. But we can still be friends. I'm not going to tell you to forget what happened, but I'm telling you to move on. We're still Pham Ngoc Han and L/N Y/N, childhood best friends who are as close as can be, and who can accomplish anything together, yeah?"

More tears brimmed your eyes in response to her statement. You remained silent and simply dropped your head. And then you suddenly surged forward to hug her. It was slightly awkward, due to her being in a bed, but neither of you minded. You were glad to be in each other's arms again after so long.

"I love you, Han." You whispered.

"As a friend, right?"

You rolled your eyes at her playful joke.

"Don't push it."