Chapter 46

After ensuring that they weren't followed May and Esmeralda turned and gasp at the sight before them, the St. John Cathedral was both a marvel on the outside and on the inside with massive pillars of stone holding a grand ceiling. Set into the walls in between the pillars were windows that looked like stain glass artwork of different designs, May took a few steps away from Esmeralda gaping at the place when her spider sense tingled and hearing a sound behind her she turned around to see Esmeralda holding a sword. It's was pointed at the man who was on his back and recognizing the gold armor May realized it was Captain Phoebus, "You!" Esmeralda said moving the blade tip to almost touch his chin as he replied "Easy, easy-I just shaved this morning."

"Oh, really? You missed a spot." Esmeralda said inching the blade closer, "All right, all right. Just calm down. Just give me a chance to apologise."

"For what?" Esmeralda asked letting her guard down for a second and that all he need as with incredible speed Phoebus grabbed his sword from her hands and used his foot to knock Esmeralda of her own, "That, for example." Phoebus said getting to his feet as Esmeralda growled "You sneaky son of a-" Phoebus cut her off with a, "Ah, ah, ah! Watch it-you're in a church." Getting to her feet Esmeralda grabbed a staff with candles on top that fell to the ground as she asked mockingly, "Are you always this charming, or am I just lucky?"

She swings the staff at Phoebus, who blocks it with his sword and they started to fight, in between swings he said "Candlelight..." Ding "Privacy... music." Clang "Can't think of a better place for hand-to-hand combat!" Clang Ding "You fight almost as well as a man!" Smirking Esmeralda replied "Funny. I was going to say the same thing about you."

"That's hitting a little below the belt, don't you think?" Phoebus asked and Esmeralda answered with "No. This is." And swung one end of the staff at Phoebus' crotch. He blocks it with his sword. She quickly hits him in the face with the other end of the staff. He shakes it off and smiled "Touché!" That was before May darted forward to hit a candle stick into his chest, "Oh hi there." Catching his break Phoebus said "Eh, I noticed. Permit me. I'm Phoebus. It means 'sun god.' And you are?"

"Is this an interrogation?" Esmeralda asked and the women where a bit surprise that Phoebus sheathed his sword as he answered "It's called an introduction." "You're not arresting us?" May asked and Phoebus shook his head "Not as long as you're in here. I can't." "You're not at all like the other soldiers." Esmeralda said lowering her staff "Thank you." Phoebus said smiling "So, if you're not going to arrest us, what do you want?" Esmeralda asked "I'd settle for your names."

"May."

"Esmeralda."

"May and Esmeralda, those are beautiful. Much better than Phoebus, anyway." He said chuckling as he looked into Esmeralda's eyes and only did May's spider sense alerted her of Frollo and guards approaching. "Good work, Captain! Now, arrest her." Frollo said. Keeping his back to Frollo Phoebus whispered, "Claim sanctuary." May was confused and Esmeralda looked at him oddly.

"Say it!" Phoebus insisted "You tricked us!" Esmeralda growled while Frollo said "I'm waiting, Captain." Turning around Phoebus said "I'm sorry, sir. She claims sanctuary. There's nothing I can do." May was surprised that Phoebus was lying yet didn't think what ever he was pulling would work as Frollo said "Then drag her outside at-" Yet he was stopped by a voice "Frollo! You will not touch her!" Looking around a old man dressed in white and red robes with a cross around his neck, he placed a hand on Esmeralda's shoulder and said to her "Don't worry. Minister Frollo learned years ago to respect the sanctity of the church." The man went to hold the door for them and growling Frollo, Phoebus and the guards started to leave, but apparently Frollo wasn't done because as May and Esmeralda past about to speak with the priest, Frollo jumps out to grabs Esmeralda's arm and twists it behind her as he whispers into her ear. "You think you've outwitted me, but I am a patient man, and gypsies don't do well inside stone walls."