Chapter 47

"So what is the Court of Wonder?" May asked as she followed Esmeralda through the streets of Amsterdam, keeping to the shadows in case of a chance encounter with Frollo's soldiers. "I'll show you." Esmeralda said and May was glad that she didn't try to say that now their out of the cathedral that May should head home. Probably because it was nighttime with unsavory people around and the fact that since May was now also an outlaw, Frollo might go to her 'normal' city family looking for her and punish her family to try and find her. A course Frollo and also Esmeralda still didn't know that if someone tried to threat May's family, they would be lucky to not be hanged for their actions against the Royal Spider Family.

Heading to the west side of Amsterdam the two soon entered a graveyard which was eerily quiet and kinda scary at night with the many different gravestones, one might get lost but fortunately Esmerelda, keeping a firm grip on May, seemed to know the way and soon they reached a box tomb that might looked like any other except for a unique symbol engrave in the nameless headstone of a cross inside a circle. Which Esmeralda pressed down and the symbol sank into the stone and with many soft clicks and groans the lid of the tomb rode up on rusty hinges and gears to reveal, not a skeleton, a flight of stairs going down. "Come on." Esmeralda said and May followed her down into darkness as the lid closed behind them to make the darkness complete. "One second." Esmeralda said and after a minute there was a spark, followed by a light that came from a match that soon ignited a torch that apparently been hidden in a hole in the wall. The torch illuminated the stairs as the two girls continued down for what felt almost forever until they reached the bottom and entered some kinda old sewer tunnel, which had rats scampering away from the light of the torch as the two ladies walked along the tunnel edges to avoid the mucky water in the middle.

The tunnel was long and sort of weaving as it descended slightly downwards and what soon it looked like they were near the end when the ladies suddenly came upon what looked like human skeletons and in the torchlight they might've scared May, that is if she didn't see them before with her enhanced Klyntar eyes that allowed her to see quite well in the dark. A course making sure to keep her normal human self May acted as she got scared at the sight, squeaking in fright and Esmeralda put a comforting hand on her shoulder, "It's okay." May looked at her, "There skeletons in the tunnel to your home, how that okay?" She asked and felt a spidery tingling on the back of her neck as a voice spoke "Because we are good skeletons." And May did get a bit of a real fright as the group of bones suddenly moved to literally stand up.

For a second May had split second thought that maybe Esmeralda had some magic like the witch that Frollo called her, but then Esmeralda said "Boys, please remove your masks, you're scaring my friend." And the skeletons reached up grab they're skulls and pull up, which detached from their necks but instead of leaving a stump in the place where the skull connected was an actual head underneath. Complete with flesh on their skulls, hair, eyes and lips showing teeth of two men as they grinned cheeky smiles at May, who immediately understood what she was seeing, the men were wearing black suits to hide their bodies and sewn on top were the skeletons bones that clanked together when they moved and because of the dim firelight the allusion it helped sell the trick that they were undead.

Yet the two Gypsies were quite alive as they looked at their fellow Gypsy, "We were getting worry about you Esmeralda, we almost fear that Frollo had caught you." One of the guys said "He almost did, but thanks to a friend we were able to escape." Esmeralda replied and the two skeletons fell in step with her and May as they continued down the tunnel as if they hadn't stopped for anything. Soon the group reached the end and found a large metallic door set into it that one of the skeleton sentries knocked on in some kinda code and a moment later the door swung forward on surprisingly silent hinges.