Chapter 70: Highschool DxD

"Hiroto... you ok?"

Rimuru asked as he bounced on top of Hiroto, who was lying down on the ground. Covered with severe wounds all over his body that quickly regenerated due to his phoenix bloodline. Enveloping him with gentle and warm flames, causing Hiroto to slowly open his eyes with an uncomfortable expression on his face. Feeling a bit nauseous as he sat up from the ground. Wearing a knight outfit with the symbol of a cross on its chest area, while on his hand was a broken blade that was snapped into two.

"Shit..."

Hiroto said as he held his head. Making Rimuru jump on top of his head and release a large volume of elixir on his body. Trying to fasten the process of him healing the body that Hiroto possessed.

"Thanks... Rimuru"

He said before he grabbed his armor and took it off his body. Throwing it beside him before he took a deep breath. Finally able to breathe properly after taking off the tight metallic armor on his body. Making him lay back down on the gray soil beneath him and look at Rimuru who started to crawl beside his face.

"Who did I possess this time?"

[A crusader tasked with eradicating a cultist village a few kilometers from the holy land, but the body was dragged in the demon summoning process and was pulled into the underworld. This body is already half-dead before you possess it and is recognized by the Church and Angels as dead. It is a perfect vessel that we chose so that you wouldn't have to worry about your background interfering with your quest]

"What point in the timeline was I sent to?"

[700 years before the plot of Highschool DxD begins. You are sent 42 years before the end of the Great War between the three factions]

"700 years... So in other words, the Devil Civil War won't begin until 200 years from now"

Hiroto said in a calm tone, while Rimuru looked at him in complete astonishment as he heard how many years they had to be here. Making him look up at Hiroto with a weird expression on his face. Wondering why he is taking this in so calmly when 700 years is already an extremely long time in human history. That is enough time for them to see dozens of civilizations and empires fall, and new ones rise from their remains.

"700 years?? You're treating it like it's just a few days, Hiroto. That's 700 years you know!?"

"I know... but I already lived a bit longer than that so... living another 700 years wouldn't be too much of a problem for me"

"You lived for that long? How old are you anyway?"

"783 years old"

"Granpa Hiroto"

"Don't fucking call me that... Do I look that old to you?"

Hiroto said with a dark smile on his face before grabbing Rimuru by gripping his slime body in his hand. Preventing him from retorting or speaking any longer before he started to look around his location while placing Rimuru on his shoulder.

"... It's like a wasteland. It's a look a lot worse when we attacked the army of orcs back at my dimension"

"This war has been going on for hundreds or even thousands of years. Seeing this much is pretty normal..."

Hiroto said as he and Rimuru stared at the wasteland around them. Resembling that of a post-apocalyptic world that had no signs of life in a span of a few kilometers. The soil and land were completely dead and infertile from the hard and greyish surface while puddles of blood, corpses, broken weaponry, and flags were scattered across the battlefield. Creating a terrifyingly peaceful land where nothing but the sound of cold and harsh wind entered their ears.