Chapter 34 - His Foolish Dream

Chapter 34 – His Foolish Dream

For the past months, Medea had just been doing nothing all day.

Of course, not nothing of course, as she was exchanging knowledge with Ainz about magic and other different abilities.

She also talked with everyone else quite a lot and gained deep insights into different areas of expertise.

However, she didn't do anything in the meaning that she didn't really interfere with any heroes and villains.

Her role assigned by Ainz was kind of pointless after the All for One incident, so she's just been at home, either doing chores and just strolling about the city.

Even so, she missed the others.

Because, being at the café, though there was also not much to do, she had the group chat, and talking to Rimuru and Ciel always brought a smile to her face.

In a way, she was grateful for coming here, but with a couple months left on the timer, everyone agreed it was time to go back.

...

Ever since All Might 'retired' from being the number one hero, his popularity began to decline bit by bit. But there were still people who celebrated him.

On one of many rooftops, a small statue of All Might raising a fist into the air was constructed in memory of him, and the person himself, now known as Toshinori Yagi, was looking at it, and felt the wind blow against his face.

Silently, Medea teleported to the other side of the rooftop, and quietly watched him.

He looked very tranquil and peaceful.

Even though he lost his powers, noticing a change in the wind was still quite normal for him.

"Quite a contrast huh," he began saying in a very calm voice, "this statue looks nothing like me at all now. I'm all shrivelled up now." He gave a pitiful laugh.

"You... are you after my life?" He didn't turn around but still asked anyway, and the silence answered his question.

"So you won't mind listening to this old guy's mumbling?"

Another silence.

"Heh. Since my young days, I've always carried this burden to become a pillar of hope that people could always rely on during harsh times. After getting One for All, I finally became what I strived to be, a hero. I then invested all my time into defeating villains and protecting society.

I was still quite young back then. I stubbornly believed that if I tried hard enough, the world will become a better place, and crimes and villains won't come to light to haunt the civilians. But now I noticed that the harder I tried, the further from the target I got. Why?

Especially now that the symbol of peace has left the stage, more and more crimes are being committed. The entire structure of balance I strived so hard for is crumbling before my eyes! Is it because I tried so hard to maintain peace, that when I fell everyone thought it was their opportunity?

Is it because people became too reliant on me that when I'm gone, they still expected me to come save them?

They still walk the streets, even if villains were present, why? I achieved what I wanted for a couple years, but look at them now!

People are committing sin as we speak, and I'm not there to help them!

Did I become the problem? Was it because of me? Did I stubbornly think that the present was all we needed? That the future was left to others?