Chapter 49 - Capital of Unreturned

Chapter 49 – Capital of Unreturned

"Is the ship a weapon?"

"Not really."

"Then why is it in your gate of whatever?"

"I don't really know to be honest. I just found it. Maybe if I activated the defensive mechanisms it can serve as a battleship but right now we'll just use it like a submarine."

"Fair enough."

Pressing a button, the walls then turned transparent revealing the outside, but there wasn't anything to be seen.

They first saw a massive sea creature pass by, and it just happened that Misaka's stomach rumbled despite not being alive. So ten minutes later, the exact same proud creature was being cooked in a pan.

The next scenery worthy of mentioning is a layer of bones.

They eventually moved on from the water, but then outside the windows appeared millions of bones from various creatures.

Then, after they passed the layer once again the familiar sight of water appeared.

Until, hours later, they finally made some progress as the ship began freefalling.

With a massive thump they landed on the floor, but both were unharmed.

"It seems we arrived earlier than the others, despite setting of later."

"Maybe its just that their ship is slow."

"Probably, but anyway, this is the sixth layer, the Capital of Unreturned. Ascending here means loss of humanity or even death, and the place is named as such since literally no one has returned from here. We have finally reached out destination."

"Indeed. Try ascending and see if anything happens."

"Nope." She jumped 20 meters into the air and as expected, nothing happened.

"Good, so if we fail then at least we can go up without worry. Let us explore for now and map out the area."

"Agreed."

They dispersed, first covering up the crater on the ground and taking away the ship so it doesn't seem suspicious.

Exactly an hour later, the capsule/pod device then landed exactly where Medea's ship was.

"So this is the Capital of Unreturned?"

...

Ever since Reg and his group arrived, Medea and Misaka had been watching them, trying to see if they could find any clues.

So they also saw how a mysterious figure stole some of their belongings and found it quite amusing.

They hid their tracks so well that not even the figure who was being secretive noticed them.

Anyway, the decision to follow them served to be fruitful, as they were led to a massive tree entrance.

"Misaka, you notice that?"

"Notice what?"

"So you can't sense it?" Normally, Misaka would take this as teasing and mocking, but seeing Medea's serious expression she didn't bring it up and also became serious.

"Sense what?"

"That tree... it's not normal. That tree is actually the body of a human."

"What?"

"Even more, the membrane at the entrance... I can't sense the force beyond it, so that human/tree also has the ability to stop the force of the Abyss. We weren't wrong to follow their group since I think the answers lay in that tree."