Chapter 50 - The Truth

Chapter 50 – The Truth

"I used to be an Orphan, who was raised by someone called Juroimoh.

One day while fishing at sea, he and a few fisherman spotted a smoldering, wrecked ship. All that remained of the crew were their mutilated corpse and a single man, barely alive. He was cowering in the state room. I heard him talk about the monstrous, man-eating hole and a Golden City at the bottom. Before succumbing to his injuries, the sailor gave Juroimoh a compass that pointed to the location of the Abyss.

As I grew older, I inherited the compass and was trained to be a Delver.

Soon, I joined the Ganja suicide corps led by Wazukyan, whose goal was the same as mine, and wished to reach out to the Abyss. Even though I wasn't confident, I was made one of the three great sages of the corps.

We followed the compass, and eventually we reached the edge of the Abyss and began our descent."

...

"We met a captive girl, called Irumyuui. She was a member of the tribe living inside the rim of the Abyss, but she was feared because of her infertility. So the tribe decided to send her as a sacrifice with us. We agreed because she could act like a guide to us.

It was when we reached the 6th layer that we found out about the curse of the Abyss. We could not ascend otherwise we will die, or worse lose our humanity , but we were named the Suicide Corps for a reason. We never planned to ascend anyway.

Accepting that we wouldn't be able to return, Ganja set up a permanent camp on the 6th layer.

During this brief time of peace, another great sage called Vueko and Irumyuui grew very close and developed a bond.

However, disaster struck. Although having a stable home, food and water supply, many of our members suddenly fell gravely ill. I then deduced it was because of the water. It was out only source of water that we found, but to our horror, it turned out to be an organism with the appearance of water.

We later found out that consuming it would turn it's hosts into stone.

We tried desperately to find a cure. It was then that a team that was scavenging returned with an egg shaped relic. It was identified as the Cradle of Desire, which could fulfil the holder's deepest wish. However, the mind of adults were too complex, and would most likely work for a child.

It was then given to Irumyuui in the hope to save the people. Vueko placed the egg on her chest and when she awoke from the disease, the egg had already fused with her body, becoming a sphere on her chest, but the pain was gone and she continued to transform.

At this point, I was also very ill."

...

"One day, I walked in and saw her cuddling a strange blob-like creature. It was then I found out that what she wished for... was fertility.

She kept giving birth, but every time they died soon after due to being born without organs for ingesting.

Every time they died, Irumyuui cried with grief. I tried to comfort her every time, but she still gave birth.

Later, I fell ill and was not able to comfort Irumyuui anymore.

Until, Wazukyan fed me something and my symptoms were alleviated. But I had a bad feeling, and later I was horrified to learn that the food was broth made from Irumyuui's children.

Irumyuui herself began to grow even more and became almost unrecognizable but I still knew it was her.

Every time, Wazukyan would come in and butcher her child in front of her.