Chapter 23: Ghost

Vale

2:23 PM

329 Days To The Fall

Ruby Pov

Today was a blur. I couldn't focus on anything, which was normal for the most part, but this was different. I replayed the events of yesterday on repeat in my mind. I was confused more than anything. Why? Because of the Red Hood. I got a look at his weapons. They were awesome, yes, but there was something that caught my attention. Mom's symbol. The red rose. It was on his pistols and his sword. 

The loss in focus was so bad that I lost track of time this morning and almost caused us all to be late for class, which would have been very bad since it was the first one of the year. That would have looked great I'm sure. The change in me did not go unnoticed. Yang has been cutting me side eyes every two minutes or so. 

She was still upset about yesterday. She hated the Red Hood. Honestly, I could see why. The way he has no problem taking life is the biggest reason. He reminds me of Tai in a way. The crowbar doesn't help his case any.... I only remember bits and pieces from that night so I cant say for certain, but when Yang looks at him... Its like she's back in that moment.... Like if she fights hard enough our brother will come back. 

I knew about her problems. They were something that she's struggled with for ten years. It was hard to adjust to the changes in her. Yang tries to keep up that carefree attitude but its so obvious that its a act. Weiss is also been a little strange since the initiation. She's been withdrawn. Irritable, almost depressed. Maybe after class we can address that...

Weiss Pov

Port: Monsters! Demons! Prowlers of the night! The creatures of Grimm have many names... I like to call them Prey! 

Ruby: *Scoff*

Port: And you shall too upon graduating from this prestigious academy.

It was around this time that my mind went back to Y/n. He was only there for a short time but it was clear that he's changed. Before, he would have been more than happy joke and help. Now, it was strained, like he was annoyed. He was solely focused on the White Fang until one of us were actually in danger. I looked over to Ruby. Why did he have such a reaction to her being in danger? He wore his heart on his sleeve when it came to helping people, but that felt different. 

Ruby was doing everything she could to keep herself entertained throughout class. It was aggravating between my mind constantly wanting to go back to Y/n and when I do manage to focus, Ruby is interrupting that. It was a mess. I was a mess. And it all came from Y/n three words he said to me. "You. Go Home". It was clear that he was pushing me away, thinking that I would be better off without him. Something that was not true in the slightest. 

With how much we've been through, I wanted to help him. Winter gave me the tools to do so. Now all I have to do is reach him. Something that he's going to fight me on tooth and nail. 

Port: ...A true Huntsman must be Honorable. A true Huntsman must be dependible. A true Huntsman must be strategic, well educated, and wise. So who among you believes themselves to be the embodiment of these traits. 

My hand shot up. Between Ruby and Y/n, I needed to do something that would get my focus back. I didn't know if this would give me what I was after but had to try. The others on my team all looked at me along with just about everyone else in the room. 

Weiss: I do, sir!

Port: Well then, lets find out! Step forward and face your opponent!