Chapter 49: Fatherly Love

Beacon

4:30 PM

145 Days to the Fall

3rd Person Pov

Shortly after leaving their dorm, Ruby and Weiss were making their way to the Transmit Tower a small ways off campus from Beacon. Ruby was excited to see the massive tower up close. Weiss on the other hand remained reserved. She was a little disappointed that she couldn't have come with Y/n, especially after how he's been acting after the group met Neptune. 

She wasn't completely oblivious to the reason as to why he's been in a funk. Neptune was flirting with her and she didn't shut it down. In short, he was jealous. She believed that he shouldn't need to feel jealous about it though. After everything that's happened and the moments they've shared, she'd have to be a absolute fool to throw that all away and Y/n an even bigger one for thinking that she would. Looking back, she probably shouldn't have let Neptune get away with it, but she also didn't think openly addressing it was a great idea either. A small, inconsequential decision that was now biting her in the ass. 

Though, as of this moment, she shouldn't be concerning herself with that. The two girls had a job to do and the sooner it was done, the sooner they could move on. While calling the SDC and leveraging her position in the family was her idea, she knew that this was going to have consequences down the line. Her father being as controlling as he's ever been. It had gotten to the point where she doesn't even take his calls anymore. 

Ruby would be bouncing off the walls if there were walls to be bouncing off. She had been wanting to explore the Transmit Tower since she first laid eyes on it. Her excitement was palpable. The only thing that she would like more than exploring the Transmit Tower would be to explore one of the many Huntsman Weaponry Workshops that litter Vale. 

Her only concern that really disrupted her excitement was a question in the back of her mind. Where did Penny disappear to? It was something that had been bothering her for months on end. The first few weeks, she figured that Penny would eventually turn up. Following those few weeks, her concern was building. Much like Weiss though, she refocused on the task at hand. That being said, her excitement was as strong as it was before. 

Ruby: Woooow! I always forget how big the Transmit Tower looks up close!

Weiss: You should see the one in Atlas.

Ruby: That's the first one, right?

Weiss: Correct. Atlas created the cross continental transmit system to allow the four kingdoms to communicate with each other. It was their gift to the world after the Great War. 

Ruby: Ooh, look at me. My name is Weiss, I know facts, and I'm rich. Pfft!

Weiss stopped and turned to glare at Ruby. Weiss found herself slightly amused at Rubys' antics but wasn't amused that it was at her expense. She had come to be more tolerable of Rubys' personality the more time they spent together but her childish behaviors still irked her. She was almost as bad as Y/n on occasion. The only difference was that Y/n could quickly flip between being a joker and being serious at a moments notice. Ruby could not. 

Weiss: Don't be a pest! Besides, the only reason we're here is because you like the tower so much. We could have easily made the call from the library. 

Ruby: I know, but its just so cool! Do you thing Y/ns been inside before? Oh! I'm gonna take a picture!

Ruby reached into her pocket and grabbed her scroll. Neither one noticing the familiar orange haired girl who was passing by them. She to was oblivious to Weiss and Rubys' presence. Ruby, in her excitement, fumbled and dropped the scroll. The scroll bounced and landed at the feet of the girl in question.