Chapter 68: Firing Squad

Beacon

8:33 PM

22 Hours to the Fall

Red Hood Pov

I set the Bullhead down as gently as I could, which wasn't very gentle. I sat there in the cockpit seat thinking about what I had just done. I did what I had to in order to keep Yang safe.... But I also ensured that I lost everything I had here.... I couldn't stay, I traded that away for Yangs safety. The question was what Ozpin was going to do about it. They crossed my line in the sand. Now it was time for the Red Hood to get to work. I stood up from the seat and walked over to Yang as old Ironwood got impatient and banged on the Bullhead door. 

Ironwood: ROSE! GET OUT HERE! NOW!

I ignored him and kneeled in front of Yang. She was still staring vacantly. I tried to tapping her to get her attention, but that didn't work. Next I tried lightly shaking her. That didn't work either. I sighed and went to the next step.

Red Hood: *Slap* YANG!

Yang snapped her attention to me. She looked lost, as if she didn't even realize where she was. What happened in the arena really fucked her up. She didn't say a word, she just started to tear up and lunged at me, hugging me as tightly as she could. 

Yang: I-I don't know what h-happened! He attacked m-me and then- 

Red Hood: Sssshhhh.... It's ok. I know what happened, and I'm going to make it right, ok? 

Yang: H-how? His leg....

Red Hood: ....He ain't even hurt.... Look, I need you to focus. I got you through the tough part. Ozpin and Qrow are just outside. They'll take care of you, but you have to tell them everything you can remember. Even the inconsequential details. Ok?

Yang: ....Ok....

Red Hood: Good. When I open the door, stay behind me. 

Yang let go, reluctantly. Ironwood banged on the door again, screaming for us to come out. I could hear the others too but I couldn't make it out over the sound of his blustering. I pulled out my pistol, ready for Ironwood to do something stupid. I don't think he will. He would have brought every knight he had to the landing pad if he was, though I can't be too sure. 

I looked back at Yang. She was behind me now. Even when she cried when we talked with Blake, she wouldn't let me see it. Now, it was like she had regressed back to being the little girl I grew up with. I closed my eyes and focused. This can go one of three ways. They let me go, they all jump me and win, or they all jump me and I break away. If they jump me, then my chances of escape were low.... But not impossible. My head throbbed for a second before fading. It wasn't a painful feeling this time. It felt like assurance.

I hit the button and the doors opened. They all looked pissed, but Qrow more at Ironwood than me. After all that talk about subtlety, I went and made a ton of noise. My only defense was the bullet in my gut. They had live ammunition loaded in their rifles and they held it on Yang. Regardless of circumstances, they all knew that something like that would set me off. 

I stepped out of the bullhead and turned to help Yang out. She didn't fight me on it. Just let it happen. I kept myself in between her and Ironwood. The other three were the only ones that I would let near her. I turned around, facing the group.

Red Hood: Yang needs to be taken to her room.

Ironwood: Both of you NEED to be taken into custody!

Red Hood: That's not going to happen. 

I flicked the safety on my pistol and Ironwoods hand went to his. Ozpin stepped in to keep things from escalating further. 

Ozpin: These two are on Academy grounds, not the colosseums. That is not your jurisdiction.