Chapter 78: Everything That Came Before

Beacon

8:51 PM

The Fall is Here

Ruby Pov

Jaune was beating on the door relentlessly. I stared out the window of the Bullhead until I couldn't see Y/n or Pyrrha anymore. Weiss was trying to keep herself calm but she was doing about as good of a job as Jaune and I were. I looked at the door controls and quickly gave up on the idea that they might still be functional. The sparking hole in the center of the console persuaded me of that. 

The ride to the safe zone was short but it felt painfully long. It was only a ten minute ride that felt like it went on for ten hours. Weiss was pacing along the Bullhead, Jaune continued to beat on the door all the way until we landed. All he managed to do was hurt his hands. When he tried to use his weapon, presumably to pry the door open, everyone had enough and forced him to sit. I watched all of this, just thinking. 

There were several Bullheads and no one left at Beacon, except for Y/n and Pyrrha. I thought about trying to persuade one of the pilots to take me back so I could get them but with the Wyvern making itself comfortable at Beacon, the chances that any of them would be willing to help were slim. It's not like I could go back to Beacon on foot either, it would take too long. Flying was the only real means I had, and unfortunately, I can't fly a Bullhead so I need help. 

When the Bullhead set down, we all "patiently" waited for someone to come open the door for us. I was very aware of the time running out while I was waiting. Once the door did finally open, I sprinted past the soldier and ran from Bullhead to Bullhead. One by one, they all said the same thing. "Going back is suicide." Maybe it is, but I'm going back for them regardless. 

I ran to the last Bullhead available and found that the pilot was already gone. I gritted my teeth and turned around only to see that another Bullhead was coming in for landing. It was unmarked, so it was causing a lot of confusion among everyone. Huntsmen had their hands on their weapons while soldiers already had theirs out and pointed at the Bullhead. I was already expecting the worst and had a hand on Crescent Rose. I couldn't really swing it, but it was sharp, had a pointy end and anyone with enough sense to do so would be discouraged from attacking me. The doors opened and I saw one of two people I wasn't expecting to see again....

Ruby: Neo!

I ran up to the girl, completely shocked that I even saw her. Neo already had her scroll out and typing.

Neo: 'Did you get the clown?'

Ruby: ....No.... And Torchwick-

???: What about me?

I snapped my attention to Torchwick, leaning against the Bullhead door from support. I was stunned to see him alive, but also happy that he was. Enough people have died tonight. I walked past Neo, stumbling over myself to get my question out.

Ruby: H-h-how!? You fell!

Torchwick: I finally found my semblance. Turns out I can "Ask" for help.

Ruby: What?

Torchwick: I hit a Grimm on the way down, it tried to eat me, and I felt something in my Aura change and told it to stop and it did. When I told it to leave, it did. Then I walked back to town found Neo, she told me about the safe zone here and I figured we would see Y/n. 

Torchwick looked around, taking not that everyone else didn't seem to like that he was here, with the exception of Goodwitch, who must have known he worked with Y/n. Weiss and Jaune came to join us once she squeezed through the crowd.