Chapter 25: Protector

Vale

12:20 PM

324 Days to the Fall

Y/n Pov

So... Weiss finally texted, and it only took a week. That was anxiety inducing waiting on a response, if I got one at all. Said that she wanted to meet up and I suggested the coffee shop I found yesterday. I had a feeling that this would be a nice change. I shouldn't be meeting her or even messaging her but after the last two years, I can't help myself. Every time I slept was a dice roll. Either nightmares or Weiss, and I was ecstatic when it was a dream of Weiss. 

I was sitting in the shop waiting for Weiss. I was a nervous wreck. I've gone toe to toe with the Black Masks back in Atlas and walked away. I've been sticking it to the White Fang for quite some time too. But when Weiss is involved, all the confidence I have goes out the window. 

The door opened with a chime and I looked over. I was stunned silent seeing Weiss standing there. It was like my brain was overloading. We made eye contact and I smiled slightly. Weiss however kept a stoic face as she made her way to me. I realized that I might be in trouble. 

Weiss: Two years... You've been gone two years and the first thing out of your mouth is "You. Go home"....

Y/n: Weiss, I-

Weiss: Dont... Just...

Weiss practically lunged at me and wrapped me in a tight hug. I wasn't expecting this, especially since we started the way we did. I hesitantly hugged Weiss back. I was still unsure if this was a good idea but it was too late now. Not only that, I was completely captive to her. The feelings from those dreams were just as strong now as they were two years ago. 

Weiss: Why? Why did you run from us?

Y/n: I didn't run-

Weiss: You did! After what happened, you shut us out! We could have helped you! Y-you dolt!

Y/n: I didn't have a choice....

Weiss let go of me and cupped my face in her hands.

Weiss: Yes you did! You didn't have to do anything! 

Y/n: It wasn't that simple, Weiss.

I moved her hands from my face. As nice as it was, I couldn't let that continue. I can't let myself get attached. Not again...

Y/n: If I stayed, you would have been in danger.

Weiss: I was always in danger. It wasn't just Sionis that was after us. We've had the White Fang on our backs for as long as I can remember. Winter was still at risk of Ironwood finding out that she helped you. You leaving didn't change anything.

I couldn't say anything. She was right to an extent. Me leaving stopped them from digging their graves any deeper. If Ironwood found out that any of them helped me in any way, there would be hell to pay. Me leaving mitigated the risk of them being discovered. They were at risk simply by me being there. 

Weiss: ...Then two y-years ago... When I tried t-to...

Y/n: ...I know... But its safer this way...

Weiss: I don't care about safe, Y/n! For years, we were connected by those dreams. We still are for Oums sake. Just because its "safer" doesn't change the feelings that are there. 

She was right about that. The last couple of years have been torture. I wanted to let things play out. To let myself be normal and give up on what I'm doing. Thing about that though is I just cant let it go. Weiss seemed to know this too and was trying to convince me. The worse part about that is that it was working.