Chapter 67: Breaking Point

Beacon

7:45 PM

23 Hours to the Fall

Y/n Pov

The walk through the Vault was made bearable by me trying to specifically isolate how to summon and unsummon the All-Blades. It just kind of happened involuntarily. Admittedly, I had to have looked like a kid in the candy shop. The whole time, things have been quiet. I watched Qrow from the corner of my eye. He never once stopped looking at me. I slowed down a little, walking beside him.

Y/n: Why are you staring at me?

Qrow: ....It's a lot to take in....

Y/n: That's more of a feeling that I should be having.

Qrow: Probably.... But out of the billions of people, why is it you?

Y/n: I've got a lot of bad luck in my blood so it's not that much of a surprise.

The second the words left my mouth, I regretted them. I didn't mean for it to be a slight against Qrow but that is what it sounded like. Qrow looked ahead and sighed before pulling out his flask. While I was definitely the cause of that, it did nothing to alleviate the annoyance at his immediate response.

Y/n: ....I didn't mean it like that....

Qrow: ....But you are right....

I slowed down a little and Qrow walked ahead. This was well out of my field. I resented him for never being there, but a small part of me still wanted him around. I wanted to be angry with him, but again, a small part of me didn't want to be. I was stuck in this weird middle ground. Pyrrha took his place, stopping beside me.

Pyrrha: So.... Magic exists....

Y/n: Yup.... It exists.

Pyrrha: ....Was it like this when you learned about all of this?

Y/n: Not quite. I literally died and was thrown into a magical pit. After that, I was very willing to believe the existence of it.

Pyrrha looked at me like I was crazy before looking at the magical swords that I was playing with in my hands. To be fair, that's not something that you normally hear someone say so casually. I didn't want to go into too much detail with Ironwood here. It was bad enough that I just admitted that me and Weiss were connected in more ways than one.

I also didn't want to think about the events that brought me here any more than I wanted to tell them. It was my turn to flip the question to Pyrrha. Being told all of this was certainly jarring and she had the worse deal than me. Where I already knew from a relatively young age that the world has more to it than people think, Pyrrhas whole world view has effectively been shattered over the course of a hour.

Y/n: Learning about magic, it's a lot, but it's exceedingly rare.

Pyrrha: You have magic smoke and your holding magic swords and your saying it's rare?

Y/n: I don't know where I got the Lazarus energy, I assume the Lazarus pit, hence the name. I can't really use it right now though....

I unsummoned the blades, still not entirely sure how, and tried to use the Lazarus energy. All I got was a weak stream of smoke. It was depressing to see since I've had it for so long and relied on it so much. It was like I lost a part of myself. I shook my head and focused back on Pyrrha.

Y/n: As for the swords.... I'm still lost on.... Well everything. There's still so many questions I have about what all this means....

Pyrrha: Well I'm still lost on all the magic and maiden talk.... So why don't we figure it out together.