Chapter 29: Who I Am (Vol. 1 Finale)

Beacon Academy

12:21 PM

316 Days to the Fall

Y/n Pov

Looking up from the screen, Ozpin and I held eye contact. Despite my best efforts to hide it, I was panicking and I was sure that it was visible. The worst case scenario has just played out in the worst way possible. I didn't dare look back at Yang and Ruby. The silence was only broken by Ozpin asking the question that was on everyone's mind.

Ozpin: So Mister Rose, how are you alive?

Y/n: None of your business.

Ozpin: On the contrary, I believe that it is my business as well as the business of Miss Yang and Miss Ruby there. I'm sure your father would be rather happy to hear-

Y/n: Cut the bullshit! You have me right where you want me so why don't we skip to the end.

The hostility was palpable. Ozpin didn't so much as flinch at my tone, but Goodwitch was clearly taken aback by it. Guess she was still trying to come to terms that I was the vigilante that's been a pain in the ass for Huntsmen around remnant for the last couple years. That, or maybe she was stunned by how I went from the overprotective big brother to this. I didn't pay her much mind outside of making sure she wasn't about to attack. I wasn't going down without a fight. Not after everything that's happened up to this point. 

Yang: H-h-how...? W-why...?

Y/n: There's more to the world than you could even begin to imagine. Now didn't I say to take Ruby and your team and leave?

Yang: WE THOUGHT YOU WE'RE DEAD FOR TEN YEARS AND THATS WHAT YOU SAY TO US!?

Ruby: *Crying* Why didn't you come back!?

Y/n: I didn't have a choice! What was I supposed to do!? I was declared dead and aunt Raven had-

Yang: YOU'VE BEEN WITH MOM!?

Ozpin: Children, I believe we are getting sidetracked from what we are all here for. 

Yang and Ruby both looked between Ozpin and I. I wasn't about to say thank you for getting us away from that because I couldn't explain to them about magic or the lazarus pit for several reasons. Most notably, knowledge of magic is inherently dangerous. Especially with the League still active. Haven't had the opportunity to take them down and its looking like I wont with each passing second.

Blake: Before we go back to that, I want to ask you something Y/n.

 Y/n: Shoot.

Blake: Why do all of this? I asked when we were on the warehouse roof at the docks, but you turned the question back at me. 

Y/n: ....Ask Ruby and Yang about Tai. After all of... That, I was trained by Raven. When I was sixteen, I started participating in her raids... I hated it. For four months, we stole and killed whoever resisted. Then one day, I was exiled....

Ruby: Why were you exiled?

The memory of that girl in the village resurfaced for the first time in months. I gripped the chair so hard that I could hear the wood creaking under my grip. It was like I was back in that moment. Remembering her screaming and realizing that she looked like Ruby... I closed my eyes and forced it back down as deep as I could. That was one of the many things I didn't want to ever remember.