Chapter 75: Bad Joke

Vale

6:57 PM

The Fall is Here

Red Hood Pov

The Bullhead was a bust. The pilot was dead. A single bullet to the back of the head. Probably from a Knight that was assigned close to the Bullhead when this kicked off. When the other students saw, the morale of the group plummeted. We had a second option of a civilian transport ship. Problem with that is, the pilots weren't experienced in this type of thing, nor was the airship going to hold up to any form of attack. 

That being said. The pilots had some balls of steel. No hesitation with agreeing to help. That alone did wonders to lift everyones spirits. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, pilots are some of the bravest people you'll ever come across. Ruby and Sun were hanging out near the windows looking towards the front of the airship. Ahead of us was Ironwoods ship. 

Sun: At least we have the Headmaster of Atlas looking out for us. 

Ruby: There's that at least.

Red Hood: What am I? Chopped liver?

Sun: No.... But your more of the "take care of business first" kind of guy. 

Red Hood: Meh, got me there.

Ruby: ....You think everything is going to be ok....?

Neither Sun or I had a answer for that. With everything that's happened, no. I seriously doubt that this is going to end well. Everything is working against us this time. Cinder clearly learned from her last attempt and brought an army and stole another just to make this work. Not only that, she targeted something that had the compacity to cause the needed negativity to attract the Grimm. That's not to say that Atlas wasn't bad enough, just that the chaos from back then wasn't enough to cause the Grimm to come knocking. Targeting a televised event was a sure way to cause panic. 

The skies were littered with Griffins and I was just praying that we didn't encounter another Nevermore. It's one thing to fight it on the ground, its another to fight it in the sky. There was the occasional Griffin that got too close but Pyrrha, Ren and Neptune would take a few shots at it and either kill it or fend it off. So far through, nothing had really gone-

*BOOOOOM*

....Wrong.... Just as I thought it, Ironwoods Bullhead exploded and went down. Ruby and Sun stared in disbelief of what just happened. I watched as the Bullhead sank from view as it was consumed in fire. Ironwood was a asshole, but I didn't wish him dead. Especially not when we need all the help we can get. I sighed and just turned away from the window before Ruby sprinted past me. 

Sun: What are you doing!?

Red Hood: Shit Ruby!

I sprinted after her, practically plowing through the students who didn't get out of the way in time. Ruby had been smart and just petal burst. I chased after her until she got to the loading dock. Without even slowing down, she pressed the button and sprinted out of the door before leaping. I stopped just short and watched as she fell before petal bursting onto a smaller ship that was going towards the flagship. 

I weighed what to do. Neo and Roman were there, if she could get to them, she would have a better chance. If Ironwood was right, Tai was on that ship and all I could do was watch as the airship she landed on got further and further away. 

Red Hood: ....FUCK!

I walked back in and punched the door button, sealing the door. I had no way of getting back to the flagship to help her nor could I just leave the others to figure this out for themselves. They needed me just as much as I needed Ruby to not do something stupid.... Like jumping out of the fucking ship. I marched back to the passenger seating, now worried for Ruby and the rest of them. I had tried to call Yang but she didn't answer. Neither did Weiss or Blake. All I could do was hope that they were alright. I entered the passenger seating and everyone looked at me.