XXXIX

20 BBYLola Sayu, Outer Rim

20 BBY
Lola Sayu, Outer Rim

Crouching down, Jaika held her breath as droids marched from underneath. Their small team were currently hidden in a vent, after finding a dead end from the destruction of corridors earlier. Obi-Wan and Piell nodded to each other, before they continued to crawl, or in Piell's case, walk; down the vent. 

Moving through the maze, the team reached a central point, which had paths leading in all directions. Jaika crouched by the hole that led downwards, before she glanced upwards at the path above them which lead to the tower. "This passage will get us to the landing pad." Obi-Wan revealed, before climbing up the tall passage way. Jaika glanced towards Piell, who nodded his head at her, beckoning her to go before him. Giving the short Jedi a nod of appreciation, Jaika followed after Obi-Wan, using the structure within the walls to pull herself up.

Jaika gripped her aching hands around the rough metallic pipes, she ascended up the passage. Obi-Wan climbed into an opening, as he spoke to R2, ordering for the ship to meet them on the landing pad. Moving past him, Jaika continued to climb, as Cody moved past her to lead the scout. Jaika heard a faint stir from above, as Cody froze once he reached the top. "Probe!" Cody shouted, as Jaika watched a probe droid ascend higher up the passage way.

Before Jaika could even process anything, Master Piell jumped past the girl, as he climbed up the walls in a quick pace as he gained on the probe. The small Jedi activated his lightsaber and jumped from the wall and sliced the droid, as both the Jedi and the droid parts fell down the passageway.  "Did you get it?" Obi-Wan called out as Piell landed on a small platform. 

A sharp metallic clang echoed from above, making Jaika look upwards. Each intersection of the passageway slammed shut, as they were sealed with metallic doors. They shut at an immense speed, which stirred worry within the group. "Security doors. Move, or you'll be cut in half." Obi-Wan ordered in desperation.

Jaika quickly launched herself upwards, away from the intersection she was previously in. The door closed, trapping her and Cody in the small passage. The girl heard multiple doors slam in the distance, before she heard a muffled scream. Jaika felt her chest tighten before she shared a glance with Cody, who tilted his head downwards slightly as he too realized what they heard. 

Removing one of her lightsabers from her belt, she activated it and pierced the blade through the door, making Cody move back as he watched her. Burning a circle into the door, she deactivated her blade as the hole in the door dropped downwards into the confined space that Obi-Wan was in, with Piell who had the same idea to Jaika. 

The girl dropped through the hole, before Cody fell through it afterwards. "We lost one." Piell announced, as a feeling of remorse weighed on the team. Jaika felt her heavy heart start to droop, as the troopers started to drop one by one; and the team would walk on, acting like it was nothing. She understood the desperation in the mission to move on without being caught, but she also expected the lost lives to be respected and credited for their sacrifices. But no, it was as if they were nothing, as if the other Jedi viewed clones as a weapon that could be replaced.