VII

32 BBYHyperspace

32 BBY
Hyperspace

The Nubian star-cruiser was silent in the vacuum of space. All of the passengers were asleep, except Jaika and Anakin who were sat together in a booth, opposite Jar-Jar who was snoring loudly. 

The twins huddled together in attempt to warm themselves up in the cold room, but they were not successful. The girl heard distant footsteps before a sliding door opened, revealing Padmé who walked across the room, not noticing the twins. Jaika took notice of her change of attire, where she wore a garment with a strange assortment of orange colours.

The Skywalker girl looked over at the R2 unit that she had slowly grown fond of, and frowned slightly when she noticed it was powered down to recharge. The girl looked back at Padmé, who had noticed the twins and slowly approached them. "Are you alright?" she asked with concern in her eyes. 

Jaika felt Anakin shiver next to her as he looked at her with a pout on his face. "It's very cold." Anakin mumbled. Jaika watched as Padmé snatched a shawl from the desk in front of her, unfolding it as she walked closer to the twins. She sat down next to them as she covered the twins with the shawl, in a kind attempt to warm them. "You're both from a warm planet. Too warm for my taste. Space is cold." Padmé explained, as she finished laying out the shawl.

Jaika observed Padmé as she did so, taking note of her eyes. They held strength and authority, but behind them Jaika could feel that she was worried and distressed. Jaika could feel the dejection radiating off the young woman, once she faced the pair. "You seem sad." Jaika stated, looking up at her with a worried gaze. Padmé hesitated for a moment, thinking about whether she should share her troubled thoughts with the children.

"The Queen is worried. Her people are suffering, dying. She must convince the Senate to intervene, or.. I'm not sure what will happen." Padmé explained, looking down at the twins as she masked her fear for the future of her people. 

"I'm not sure what is going to happen to us. I don't know if I'll ever see you again." Anakin started, with a slightly worried look on his face. Jaika gave him a side glance, taking note of his dismissal of her presence. She would have commented on his mistake, but she stayed silent when she noticed how much attention he was giving Padmé. "I made this for you. So you'd remember me. I carved it out of a japor snippet. It will bring you good fortune." 

Jaika concealed a small smirk that was attempting to spread across her face, as Anakin handed Padmé the necklace. Padmé smiled in gratitude as she inspected it before putting it around her neck. "It's beautiful, but I don't need this to remember you. Many things will change when we reach the capital, Ani. My caring for you will always remain." 

In a normal setting, Jaika would feel slightly desolate that someone else would gain all of the affection when she is given none. This was not the case, as Jaika was aware of Anakin's crush on Padmé, even if he would not admit it himself. The girl felt slightly happy for her sibling, not feeling any sense of remorse for being neglected in the interaction.