IV

32 BBYMos Espa, Tatooine

32 BBY
Mos Espa, Tatooine

Jaika stood in Watto's shop, beside her brother who was currently having an argument in Huttese with Watto. The girl shifted on her feet in discomfort. Usually she was alright when it came to sharing her thoughts and being argumentative, but due to the current circumstances where the travelers are relying on her and her brother; she preferred to stay silent and left Anakin to do the talking.

Qui-Gon all of a sudden walked into the shop and looked between the boy and the Toydarian, also noticing Jaika's uncomfortable state during the heat of the argument. Watto and the twins noticed his appearance and joined him. "The boy tells me you wanta sponsor him and the girl insa race. You can't afford parts. How can you do this? Not on Republic credits I think." Watto laughed, his galactic basic strung together in broken words due to his unfamiliarity with the language.

"My ship will be the entry fee." Qui-Gon spoke, pulling an object out of his pocket where a holographic image of a spacecraft appeared. Jaika's eyes widened in surprise at Qui-Gon's bet; as well as her shock at seeing such an elegant ship. Most of the ships that come to Tatooine aren't Republic; they are either stolen or old and in a bad condition. 

"Not bad, not bad. A Nubian." Watto stated, observing the foreign ship. Qui-Gon wore a face that assured the twins that he thought the twins would win. "It's in good order, except for the parts we need." Qui-Gon revealed, Watto grew more excited at the possibility of winning a ship such as that.

"But what would they ride? They smashed up my Pod in the last race. It will take some time to fix it." Watto explained, giving the twins a quick glanced. Jaika diverted her gaze to the dirty ground in shame, as Anakin wore an embarrassed face. The girl looked up and exchanged a knowing glance with her brother, before he stepped forward in defense.

"It wasn't our fault really. Sebulba flashed us with his vent ports. We actually saved the Pod, mostly." Anakin defended, looking around sheepishly as he recalled the previous race. Jaika cringed at the memory of Sebulba cheating to win the race; a method he often uses. "That you did. They are good, no doubts there." Watto laughed, glancing at the twins. Qui-Gon looked at the twins and smiled slightly at them, earning hopeful glances, before turning his attention back to the Toydarian who was hovering in front of him.

"I have acquired a Pod in a game of chance. 'The fastest ever built'." Qui-Gon revealed, deceiving Watto, whose interest spiked. The twins shared a glance, knowing that Watto is falling for their game of trickery. Watto is not easy to deceive, but once there is a price or bet involved, the old Toydarian believes anything. Watto started to laugh as he finalized their gamble, "I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it. So, you supply the Pod and the entry fee; I supply the twins. We split the winnings fifty-fifty I think." 

Qui-Gon looked at Watto in disbelief. The Skywalker twins were not surprised, he always pulls stunts like that so he can get credits, even if he loses. "Fifty-fifty? If it's going to be fifty-fifty, I suggest you front the cash for the entry. If we win, you keep all the winnings, minus the cost of the parts I need; If we lose, you keep my ship." The man spoke in a voice full of confidence. Anakin and Jaika looked at each other with worry, realizing they really need to win the race now. The siblings both buried their fears, in attempt to stop Qui-Gon from second-guessing his bets.