LXIV: disappointment

day before the appointment

"Mummy?" Chunhei calls out from the desk that she had been sitting at.

"Yes, baby?" I look up from my laptop where I had been inputting grades all afternoon. 

With the third quarter of the school year coming to a close, I was rushing to get all grades finished and up to date before we begin end-of-the-year testing. Because of tomorrow's appointment, I wouldn't have time to work on it tomorrow so I spent the whole of this afternoon after the students had gone to do grades. 

"Will daddy be home tonight?" 

"I'm not quite sure, sweetie," I sigh, looking over at Chunhei who had be working on a coloring sheet to keep her occupied, "He hasn't texted me all day so it looks like he's busy at work."

Chunhei simply nods and returns to her work. I sigh and get up from my desk and walk over to her. I sit down in the chair next to her and call her name to get her attention.

"You miss daddy?" I ask her, pulling her closer to my side.

"Mhmm," She nods her head, nuzzling into my side, "We had a good weekend, but he had to go back to work yesterday."

"I know," I simply reply, stroking her hair and hoping to figure out a correct response, "Wanna try and call him?"

 "Yes please," She answers, grabbing one of my hands and giving it a squeeze. 

This weekend had been quite fun for all the kids. On Saturday, we had taken Chunhei, Haru, and Noah to the mall where they played in the kids arcade for a good two hours and Sunday was spent at home cuddling and watching movies with just me, her, and Yoongi. On Monday and Tuesday, Yoongi was able to work from home so he was there when we left for school and came home. This has been very appreciated by Chunhei because she had not seen or hung out with her dad like this in a while. 

Unfortunately, Yoongi was called into the studio early Wednesday and had not come home since. Yesterday after coming home from school, Yoongi was nowhere to be found in the apartment and when we woke up this morning, he was still not home. 

Squeezing Chunhei closer to my side, I fish my phone out from my pocket and press on Yoongi's FaceTime contact. The phone rings for about a minute before it turns off, indicating that Yoongi did not answer. I look down and see Chunhei's disappointed face. 

"We can try again if you want, my love," I look on her face for any signs of emotion.

Her disappointment is clear as she nods slowly.

"Maybe he'll answer this time," She sighs.

I press on Yoongi's contact one more time but the result does not change. 

"Maybe daddy's busy," Chunhei whines, burying her face into my side.

"We'll try again when we get home, love bug," I reassure her, rubbing her back softly, "Let's pack up and head home. I'm making lasagna for dinner."

"That's my favorite!" She cheers, her disappointment going away for a few seconds, "Thank you, mummy."

"Anything for you, Chunnie." 

back home

"Go and change out of your outside clothes, love," I tell Chunhei as soon as we get home. 

We got home a bit later than usual so instead of cooking, I bargained with Chunhei that I'd get her favorite restaurant's lasagna delivered instead and I'd make her my own lasagna this weekend. With a promise of dessert, she was able to agree and accept that she wouldn't be having my homemade lasagna tonight.