THREE

CHARLOTTE

                              🌼🌼🌼

" How's the job going, Lola?" My best friend and colleague, Skye asked.

I sighed and leaned further into my boyfriend's arms. He was so warm and comfy. Dean chuckled and kissed my head.

" I don't know. Good. The little girl I'm looking after is the cutest little thing you'll ever see. She's a bit quiet though." I gush, remembering how I had helped Danny colour some drawings yesterday. She was so concentrated and was even... smiling.

" Sounds fun." Skye shook her head. I shrugged and picked up my phone, panicking when I saw what time it was. I only had 15 minutes to get to a place so far.

" Do you have to do this ever day? You're never around anymore." Dean sighed frustratedly.

" I started yesterday, D. " I quickly grabbed my purse and placed a kiss on his forehead.

" That's like...a really long time. Let's go clubbing tonight." Skye beamed at the last part.

" Yes! We haven't gone to a good club in so long. Please baby?" Dean jerked up with excitement.

I rushed to the door and left them without an answer. Knowing them, they'd take my action as a yes. Even if I said no, they'd drag me there. Dean and Skye had so much in common that sometimes I wondered how I ended up with him instead of Skye.

Skye had straight, honey brown hair and hazel blue eyes. Her skin was naturally tan and she had the body of a model. I, on the other hand had thick, dark brown kinky hair which honestly looked more like a mane if I didn't pin it or braid it. When let loose, my hair made my face look tiny, giving me the appearance of a child. I can't count how many times I ruined our nights to the club because the bouncers refused to believe I was even 18.

Compared to sky, or anyone for that matter my skin was very pale. I honestly hated looking at myself in the mirror because I didn't think I was good enough. I know I'm good, but just not good enough.

I signalled a cab and told him the address. We arrived five minutes late and I prayed that Mrs Ferrari was already gone.

Luck was on my side today. There in the living room was Danny with her drawing books scattered on the counter. She was seated on one of the stools with a cup of apple juice beside her.

" Hi Danny." I breathed.

Danny turned to me, a confused expression taking over her as she scanned every part of me. I couldn't blame her. I was a sweaty mess from running so fast and I was panting so hard.

" Here." She jumped off the stool and handed me her apple juice.

Danny stared at me expectantly as I took the cup. I made sure to only take a sip before handing the cup back to her. If anything the juice made me even more thirsty.

" Thank you, Danny." I patted her hair.

Danny went back to her stool and continued colouring.

" Where's your mom?" I asked reaching for a bottle of water in the fridge. The house was silent again that even the maids were nowhere in sight.

Did they seriously leave their daughter alone here?

" Party." Danny replied, pushing an orange crayon towards me.

I sighed in relief at her reply. Her mother was gone which meant I didn't have to meet her today. Hopefully she left even earlier today.

" Don't you mean work?" I joined her in coloring the giant, rainbow coloured horse.

" Party is work." Danny drank her juice.

I just nodded and continued to help her with her colouring. Danny wasn't particularly hungry today so we just coloured some more and I even helped her with her homework.

The day flew by with minimum words said, on Danny's part of course. I tried to learn as much about her as possible but she'd only reply with short sentences, as expected. I respected her answers because I wanted her to trust me, not feel uncomfortable.

Danny began to yawn again and I realized it was getting late. The sun was setting and Skye was bothering me with unending calls and texts.

I never agreed to go out with you guys for God's sake!

I carried Danny in my arms and took her to her room. She muttered a sleepy ' thank you' before finally succumbing to the sleep.

With nothing else to do, I cleared the living room and returned her colouring books to the shelf in her room. The maids were nowhere to be found so I prepared some spaghetti and meatballs for Danny in case she woke up hungry.

I didn't know what to do afterwards. Do I leave or do I wait for Danny's parents to return? There were men positioned everywhere outside the door and I'm sure if something ever happened they'd assist her. After much contemplation, I decided on the latter.

If Danny's mother was upset that I came late again maybe she'd be happy if she came back and saw me here.

I scrolled through my photos in the meantime, stopping at a photo of my grandmother and I. Even at such and old age she was adorable. She had light brown eyes and black hair. She was always so optimistic about everything and even made this cruel world seem not so bad. She saw the good in every on and never hesitated to help someone in need.

Her leukemia was getting worse and I still couldn't afford all the medicines she needed.

" Where's Elle?" The voice snapped me out of my solemn thoughts.

I lifted my head to meet Mrs Ferrari in a short, biege dress that exposed way too much. She had no make up on her face but she was still gorgeous. She crossed her arms and quirked a perfectly carved brow at me.

" She asleep." I stood up.

Anna glanced at her phone and scowled.

" She has somewhere to be. Wake her up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~