FIFTY-EIGHT

🌼 🌼 🌼

" Higher, Lola! Higher!" Danny giggled as I pushed her on the swing.

I laughed along and added a little more force to my pushes. I wanted her to have a good time but I didn't want her to get hurt. We had played everything Danny suggested. Tag, hide and seek and just running around in circles. It was fun because I didn't need to stress myself so much.

Danny had little legs and I wasn't so tall either, so running so much tired us out quickly. Now she was just having her fun on the swing.

" Okay, I'm exhausted. I'm sure you're thirsty too. Come on. " I panted lightly, picking her up as she slowed down and headed towards a bench not far away from us.

" That was so fun." She giggled.

I nearly threw myself on the bench and stretched my legs, sighing contentedly as they could finally rest. I had fun too, but I was exhausted right now. I searched through my bag for a bottle of water and handed it to Danny.

" Thank you." She breathed, gulping nearly half of it down.

" Slow down princess. You don't want to choke." I chuckled as I sat up straight, taking a sip of the water when she handed the bottle to me.

We sat in silence, smiles plastered on our faces as our eyes scanned the half empty park. There weren't much people here anymore which was probably because it was getting dark.

" When do you think I'm going home?" Danny asked.

I frowned at how sudden that was but shrugged.

" I don't know. Do you want to go home?" I raised an amused brow at her.

She wasn't seated right on the bench because she wanted her feet to touch the grass. Her stomach was hence pushed up and her chin rested on her collarbone, making her look somewhat chubby.

I was trying my best not to laugh at her though. It was too cute.

" No. " She simply said.

" Danny, you'll have to. It's your home. You can't keep staying with me all the time. Your dad always has to go back to get you clothes to wear." I sighed, placing my hand on her hair.

" But I'm happy with you. Daddy's happy too." She pouted sadly.

I felt my heart swell at her words. She was happy with me.

" I'm also very happy with you two around. But you going back doesn't mean we'll not see each other again. I'll still come babysit you. It's my job remember?" I reminded her.

Danny sat straighter, anxiousness taking over her features.

" So, if mommy chases you away daddy and I won't see you again?" I felt my heart stop as her lips began quivering.

" That's not going to happen Danny. I promised I wouldn't leave you, didn't I? And I'll stick to that. If your mother decided to chase me away then I'd take you with me." I joked.

Danny smiled faintly and threw herself into my arms. I was caught off guard for a second but wrapped my arms around her immediately I recovered.

" I love you, Lola." She mumbled against my arm.

I smiled and pulled her impossibly closer into me.

" I love you too, Danny."

                                   ~ ~ ~

" You've got a lot of nerve disappearing on me and then showing up at my door like nothing happened." I folded my arms as I glared at my best friend.

I've had enough of this anonymous boyfriend of her's. He's ruining everything for my best friend and I. I don't even know her now.

" I'm sorry. But I've got good news. I swear." She walked up to my and pulled me into a tight hug.

I didn't respond though. I wanted her to know I was really mad.

" Oh come on. I said I'm sorry." She chuckled, dragging me to my couch by the arm.

" Where's that cute little girl anyway? You never introduced us." She smiled, looking around for any sign of Danny.

" She's asleep. It's 9pm, if you don't know. You aren't even supposed to be driving around this late. You're pregnant." I told her.

I'm mad at her, but I don't hate her.

" Yes, that's true. But I really needed to tell you." She bounced in her seat.

" Really? Why do we have phones then?" I crossed my arms.

" No, you need to see it. Besides, I thought you'd be asleep if I called and figured if I banged on the door loud enough you'd wake up." She smiled sweetly.

" Alright, What is it?" I sighed, throwing my hands up in surrender.

" Well, boom!" She practically shoved her right hand into my face. I barely even noticed the bracelet on her wrist.

" Where did you get that?" I asked in amazement. It was a golden bracelet with her name engraved on in. It looked very pretty but overall... expensive.

Skye smirked proudly and began fanning herself with her hand.

" It was giving to me. By my boyfriend." She replied, emphasizing the word boyfriend so I'd get the message.

" Wait, he asked you?! To be his-"

" Girlfriend?! Yes!!" Skye finished for me, screaming like a school girl.

" Shh! Danny's asleep." I pressed a finger on my lips .

" Who's Danny?" Skye whispered back cluelessly.

" The girl. My boss's daughter?" I raised a brow.

" Oh yeah. Sorry." She whispered.

" Anyway, I'm so happy for you. Hopefully things can get better between us." I smiled, the fake anger I had felt with her, flying out the window.

Skye deserved it. It'd been so long since she got into a relationship and from all indications, she really liked this guy. I just hoped her treat her right, as well as my niece.

" Nothing's wrong with us, Charlotte. I'll always be your best friend, you know that." She interlaced our fingers and smiled softly.

" Are you sure? We haven't really been the way we used t-"

" And that's my fault. We'll be okay, I promise. Plus, who's going to help me bury my boyfriend's body if he were to fuck up? You know I can't be bothered to find another bestie. It just wouldn't be the same." She pouted.

I laughed and pulled her into a hug. I really did miss her.

" You're right. You really can't."

" Good. So just know this Charlotte Amara Jones, you are stuck with me. For better or worse." She giggled.

This is it. Everything was falling into place. Danny loved me, things were going well with Matteo and i finally had my best friend back.

Nothing could possibly ruin this for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now now Charlotte, I wouldn't say nothing...

Follow _ Vote _ Comment