NINETEEN

🌼 🌼 🌼

" We aren't really lacking much back home. Why do we have to go grocery shopping?" I rested by head on my fist, rolling my eyes when Skye gave me a look.

" Stop lying to yourself, Lola. You ate the last of all you had yesterday. You need to shop for something to eat today too." Skye shook her head, inspecting a jar of Nutella.

She was right. Most of my money has been going to Nanna's drugs that I barely had enough for myself at home. My fridge was nearly empty but for a sachet of ketchup and two eggs, and Dean's pay hasn't really been too much help.

" Help me get some Doritos, will you? I've been craving them these days." Skye looked at me pleadingly.

I squinted my eyes at her. The only reason why she didn't want to got get it herself was because she spotted one of her past flings helping an old lady on the way and didn't want to have to meet him. What she didn't know was that this ex of her's loved to harass me at every chance he got.

" Oh come on. It's the least you can do." She sighed exasperatedly, placing a hand on her flat tummy as if accusing me of doing something to her baby.

" Fine. I'm getting one for myself though." I rolled my eyes.

" Make mine two!" She yelled after me.

I didn't bother replying as I dragged myself towards the aisle.

Jason and I first met on one occasion where he followed Skye to the bakery I used to work. He'd always say hi to me wherever he spotted me. He was nice but he was in some sort of was really creepy. He stood too close and was always breathing down my neck. Sometimes I wondered whether he was truly into Skye and not me.

I hid my face behind my bushy hair as I walked past him, happy that today I was to too lazy to put it in a bun. 

" Lola?" His voice was much deeper than I remembered. It sent an uncomfortable vibration down my chest and I could feel myself tense up when he moved closer.

" Hey... Jason. How are you?" I tried to hide my discomfort when he moved closer to me.

Jason looked around as if looking to see if we were alone in the aisle. The old lady he was helping had gone and I prayed to God that he'd leave soon.

" You came here all alone?" His question made me frown.

I didn't want to tell him I came with Skye because they didn't end up on good terms. I also didn't want to say yes because he'd ask to spend time with me, and that was the last thing I needed.

" Uhm...no not really. I was just getting something for a friend." I told him, turning away and hoping he'd get the hint.

I cursed internally when I noticed the item I was looking for was on the top shelf. I couldn't reach it even if I stood on the tip of my toes.

" Need help?"

I shivered at how close we were. If I made any wrong move my backside would be directly on his crotch. Did this guy not know anything about person space.

" The Doritos please." I whispered.

Jason reached for the packet and handed it over to me. I turned around, the discomfort of being trapped between him and the shelf overwhelming me. Jason didn't move. I couldn't either.

" I actually n-need two more, please." I told him.

" Sure thing." He reached out for the remaining.

" Uh, Lola? Have you and that guy-"

" Charlotte?"

I quickly slipped away from Jason, clutching onto the three sachets in my arms. I didn't know what he was doing at the grocery store.

He was wearing a white t-shirt with a really small writing in black. I couldn't read what it said because it was too tiny but the t-shirt looked good on him. His athletic build strained the shirt just right.

He was wearing black jeans and white sneakers. He looked really simple for someone of his status but it fitted him. His long blonde hair was styled in a half bun, some strands falling over his piercing green eyes.

There was never a moment he wouldn't steal my breath away. I hated to admit it but he was handsome. So very handsome.

" Charlotte?" He raised an amused brow, his lips curling up at the corner.

I quickly looked away, feeling embarrassed that he'd caught me staring. I didn't mean to.

" Who are you supposed to be?" Jason crossed his arms behind me. I hadn't noticed that he once again came so close to me.

" Who's asking?" Mr Ferrari rested against his shopping cart. His eyes held a mischievous glint that caused an uneasy feeling to settle at the bottom of my stomach.

Jason growled and stepped closer. One of the reasons why he creeped me out was that he was freakishly tall. Mr Ferrari was also tall, but Jason was a good four inches taller than him. He stared dead into Mr Ferrari's eyes, obviously trying to intimidate him.

" Back off, little man." Jason smirked.

Mr Ferrari's smirk transformed into a full blown smile. He seemed to be enjoying himself, making me wonder his sanity. I didn't know much about Jason. But I knew he was probably a good fighter. According to Skye, he went to the gym regularly and took wrestling lessons...or whatever.

" Why don't you make me? I'd like to see you try." Mr Ferrari almost pleaded. That smile was still etched on his face, his green eyes staring straight into Jason's blue ones.

Jason temper only seemed to grow worse. He took another step towards Mr Ferrari and reached for his shirt.

" Jason stop it!" I tried to push him away.

I couldn't comprehend what happened next. Jason went stiff and his breath hitched. He stared at Mr Ferrari with wide eyes, fearful ones at that. Mr Ferrari tilted his head to the side mockingly.

" Jason? Are you alright?" His smirk returned.

Jason stepped back slowly and without a word, he left. It was strange. He never ever backed down from anything. I would know. He was always obsessing over me and never left even when I threatened to report him to authorities. This behavior of his had me confused and honestly...very worried.

" Charlotte ? "

Mr Ferrari rested his head on his fist and stared at me. I held in a breath and replied.

" Yes...Sir?"

" He isn't someone I should worry about...is he?" He squinted his eyes at me. I didn't think twice before shaking my head.

" N-No, Sir." I whispered.

Jason was a nuisance but that was only when we ever crossed paths, which thankfully, wasn't too often.

Mr Ferrari nodded thoughtfully before moving closer and kissing my forehead. I felt the heat rush up to my cheeks again. I wasn't supposed to feel so fuzzy and giddy. This man was more dangerous than I thought and he proved that to me right here.

I needed to stay away from him before things got out of hand. But how was I supposed to do that when he was living were I worked?

" See you tomorrow, fiore."

He left me standing in the empty aisle. I wanted to meet Jason and asked him what happened. Why he behaved so strangely and why he got so scared. But I knew that wasn't the best idea.

I just needed to stay away from that man. Simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~