FORTY

🌼 🌼 🌼

Matteo never left my apartment that night. He slept on my laps the whole night which resulted in me having severe neck pain and headache from our position. He woke up early though, which explained why my apartment smelt of amazing waffles and syrup.

" Good morning, fiore." He smiled cheerily at me.

I rubbed the back of my neck and mumbled a barely audible reply. He was only wearing his dress pants so in order for me to avoid early morning embarrassment staring at his defined upper half,  I headed to my room for a quick shower.

Since I had a visitor, I decided to throw on a peach, sleeveless turtleneck top and a denim skirt. My braids were messy so I sadly had to loosen them and just pin my hair in a tight bun. The pins stayed though.

" Feeling better now?" Matteo glanced at me as he took a sip of his orange juice.

" Wear a shirt. It's too early." I sighed, taking a seat across him on the table.

Matteo looked at his chest and shook his head.

" No. I'm free."

He pushed a plate of delicious plate of waffles towards me, making my stomach growl instantly.

" Thank you." I whispered.

I always thought Matteo looked like someone who knew a bit about everything. I mean, for someone with such volume of confidence you'd think he knew everything in the world.

I was this close to believing that because theses waffles were the best I have ever tasted. Even better than Rita's.

" What are you?" I couldn't hold back my shock as I munched on the syrupy delight.

Matteo chuckled in response.

" I like to cook, but I never get the time to."

" Well, you could cook for me from now on. Please." I practically gobbled down my lunch, ignoring his unwavering gaze.

" I thought you didn't want me here with you." He teased.

" I don't remember ever saying that. Will you make lunch too?" I asked, my mouth full of waffles.

Well, there goes my manners.

" Sadly fiore, I need to be in Tokyo two hours from now. So...no." He chuckled.

I felt my heart drop for some reason. He was leaving?

" Oh." I returned to my almost finished breakfast.

" I'll be back before you know it, so stop missing me." He winked.

" I'm not missing you. I won't." I crossed my arms.

Matteo shrugged smugly and walked towards the counter where his white shirt was neatly folded. He slowly put it on and walked over to me.

" I'll call you before taking off. Make sure you don't miss it." He kissed my temple and grabbed the rest of his stuff.

" See you in three days." He waved one last time before leaving.

I stared at the door for a few seconds. He was going to be out of my hair for three days. Why was I not happy?

I let out a sigh and stared at the glass of orange juice he had handed to me. He was a gentleman, I'd give him that.

Chugging it down, I cleared the table and began washing the dishes. There would be absolutely nothing to do today and I had already done all my chores. Maybe I'll just take a walk today.

Or visit my Nanna.

Once I was done I took my keys and grabbed my phone, willing myself not to cry if I visited my grandmother today.

" I borrowed your little boyfriend's room today, as well as his spare toothbrush. Thank him for me will you, fiore?" - Unknown.

I already knew who sent the message. A small smile stretched my lips as I thought about his stubbornness. He sure loved to get under Dean's skin.

I saved his number and threw my phone in my skirt pocket afterwards. Locking my apartment door, I jogged down to the hospital where my Nanna was bedridden.

                                   ~ ~ ~

Dr Theo was speaking to someone when I
approached his office. It was a young man with long dark hair and gorgeous grey eyes. He didn't seem too happy though and I could swear Dr Theo was sweating under his intense gaze.

" Charlotte, I'll be with you in a moment." He nodded once he saw me.

The young man turned to me, his eyes traveling up and down my body with uninterest. He muttered something under his breath before getting up and walking past me.

For someone so good looking, he sure was rude.

" Are you alright?" I stepped inside.

Dr Theo nodded breathlessly and stood up. His usually slicked back hair was messy and his eyes had dark circles under them.

" Yes, you're here to visit your grandmother aren't you?" He smiled halfheartedly.

I nodded and began fiddling my fingers nervously.

" Well I'm just going to tell you what's happening right now. " He sighed.

" There hasn't been any improvement, Charlotte..."

I felt my heart drop as he continued.

" But she's stable. She's not in too much danger. There's still a chance, and I promise to try my best." He finished.

A weak smile made its way onto my lips. There was still a chance. Matteo could still save my grandmother. I whispered a quiet ' thank you ' and turned to leave but he stopped me.

" Your parents haven't contacted the hospital in a while. Have you heard from them?"

I paused, the sadness deep down inside of me quickly being replaced by anger.

" They are not my parents."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~