TWENTY-ONE

🌼 🌼 🌼

Today was my grandmother's birthday. I called Dr Theo and wished her a happy birthday which she responded with a hearty laugh. She didn't forget and was waiting for me to call her since 5:00am. I was surprised she remembered considering her condition but I was happy nonetheless.

She wasn't letting her sickness get to her and I loved her for that.

" Who are you making the cake for? Nanna doesn't eat them." Skye looked over my shoulder, taking a long whiff of the cake I was decorating.

I had decided to bake a cake to celebrate Nanna's birthday and since she didn't like cakes, I'd give it to Danny.

I added the finishing touches to my chocolate cake and began taking a big slice out of it.

" Who's that for?" Skye asked curiously as I placed the cake in a transparent container.

" Danny." I stated, checking the time on my phone.

I only had less than an hour to get to the mansion and I really wanted to leave early. Danny would love the cake, no doubt and I prayed that Anastasia also wouldn't be around to see me give it to her.

" Who's Danny. Are you seeing someone behind our backs?!" Skye exclaimed dramatically.

I shook my head and snorted. She could be so dramatic at times.

" The little girl I'm taking care of." I explained, grabbing my phone and purse and heading towards the door.

" You're getting so attached to that girl." Skye noted.

" Any problem?" Paused halfway, turning to her. Skye remained silent but shook her head afterwards, waving a dismissive hand in the air. I shook my head and jogged out if the apartment.

" Can I have some?" Skye yelled after me.

" Save some for me and do not forget to put it in the freezer!" I yelled back as I rushed towards a cab I had spotted stopping by the side of the road.

I clutched onto the container in my arms excitedly, already imagining what Danny's reaction would be like once she saw it.

We finally arrived at the mansion after a few  minutes and I thanked the driver before handing him his fare. The mansion was quiet and empty today. I was used to it and had expected to come here before Danny returned from school.

I dropped the container on the kitchen counter and sat on the living room couch, waiting eagerly for Danny to arrive.

" Charlotte?"

A masculine voice startled me, causing me to jump to my feet. Mr Ferrari stood a few feet away from me. He was wearing a maroon suit and a white, turtleneck shirt underneath.

His hair was held in a low ponytail and those stubborn strands were framing his face again. He looked effortlessly and devilishly handsome.

He squinted his eyes at me before a smirk curled his lips.

" Good afternoon, Sir." I mumbled, embarrassed that he had yet again caught me staring.

I didn't mean to. But it was impossible to look at someone so beautiful and not be mesmorized.

" Why so formal, fiore? We're much more than that." He walked over to me.

" You are my boss. Nothing else." I turned my head away with a frown when he inched closer.

Much like Jason, this man had no respect for my personal space. But what shocked me was that I wasn't as weirded out and uncomfortable as I was with Jason. With him so close...I just felt so overwhelmed.

" You forget easily. But nevermind. My name is Matteo." He raised an amused brow.

Matteo. The name suited him but at the same time it wasn't enough. Everything about him was strange yet charming. His words always seemed to have a double meaning and some sort of message in them. This man wanted me. I caught onto that.

I just didn't know in what way. Honestly, I was dying to know too. But I knew he wasn't someone I wanted to get involved with.

" Mat-"

" Lola?"

Danny's voice was enough to snap me back to my senses as I pushed myself away from Mr- Matteo. She was dressed in her school uniform, her pink schoolbag was in the hands of some buff guy wearing a black suit and shades.

He looked so intimidating that I wondered how Danny wasn't afraid of him. Danny took her schoolbag from him and thanked him. The man gave a stiff nod and walked back out, uttering no word in response.

" Welcome home, Amore." Matteo smiled at his daughter, opening his arms so she'd hug him.

I didn't know how I hadn't noticed his accent earlier but I did now. He sounded slightly Italian and I hated to admit how extremely attractive it sounded on him.

Danny jogged up and wrapped her arms around his legs. She glanced at me and sent a small smile and a wave. I waved back at her awkwardly, wondering whether or not she had seen how close her father and we're and what she thought about it.

" What are you doing here, daddy?" Danny asked, pulling away from her father's embrace.

" It's my day off, remember? I promised to spend it with you today." Matteo said, making his daughter's eyes shine with delight and a small smile take over her face.

Matteo glanced at me from the corner of his eyes, his smirk returning.

This man was going to spend the day with Danny and I. He was going to harass me all day and I wouldn't be able to escape him. I shivered at the thought, a wave of uneasiness settling deep down my stomach. This did not sound good.

" Can Lola spend time with us too?"

Danny's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Matteo looked at me and smiled kindly.

" Of course. I'm sure she wouldn't mind spending time with us. Would you, Miss Jones?"

The both of them turned to me, waiting for a reply. I wanted to say no because I didn't know what would happen with Matteo around me. I didn't want him to do something that could ruin my relationship and his marriage.

Anastasia hated me already. Ever since that incident she hasn't spared me a glance. I expected her to fire me or at least say something mean but she only ignored me and refused to even cross paths with me. I wanted to apologize to her but she never even gave me the chance to.

If she saw me with her husband or ever caught me being so close to him she'd kill me. Ineas sure of that. But what's worse was that I'd be a homewrecker and Danny would hate me forever. She'd never forgive me and would never want to see me again.

Matteo didn't seem to consider all that though. He had his eyes on me,a smug expression on his face as he awaited my answer. He already knew what it was...but he wanted to hear me say it.

" I wouldn't want to intrude on family time." I shook my head nervously.

Danny's excitement morphed into confusion as she looked around the room.

" It's not family time. There's no mommy." She said, grabbing a hold of my hand.

" Well, I..." I tried to find an excuse.

Matteo folded his arms across his chest and watched as Danny began dragging me to was her room.

" You won't intude, Lola. You can be my mommy." Danny said absentmindedly, nearly causing me to trip on air.

" Right daddy?" She stopped in her tracks and we both turned to Matteo.

He gave a sly smile and winked at his daughter.

" Right."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~