THIRTY- SIX

CHARLOTTE

                          🌼 🌼 🌼

" Are you okay, Lola?" I heard Danny ask.

Her eyes were laced with concern and her small hand was on mine. I forced a small smile and nodded. I wasn't able to sleep last night because of my grandmother's condition and now it's all they I've been thinking about.

My parents haven't been picking my calls and it honestly ticked me off. Were they not aware of Nanna's situation? I let out another sigh, not wanting Danny to notice my rage.

" I'm fine, Danny. What's wrong?" I switched my attention to the four-year old.

" I need to use the toilet." She mumbled shyly.

I nodded my head and carried the girl in my arms. Danny always went to the bathroom herself, I don't know why she wanted me to take her this time around. I wasn't complaining though, I needed her to keep me busy so I could have something else to think about.

" Would you like me to help you inside or do you want me to stay by the door for you?" I dropped her by her bathroom door.

" Here please." She said before walking into her bathroom.

I leaned against the door and started at the baby pink ceiling. Matteo was nowhere to be seen and even he hasn't been picking my calls today. I was a bit embarrassed to see him after crying on him last night and I didn't want to talk about our deal just yet ...but I had to.

I'd probably be sounding pushy but I just wanted my Nanna to be fine.

I heard the sound of the toilet flushing and pushed myself away from the door.

" Make sure to wash your hands, angel." I peeked through the door, smiling when I saw she was already standing by the sink, a small pink stool helping her reach the running water.

" All done." She smiled.

" Come on, let's go back to the tv. Or do you want to play something else?" I asked as I carried her in my arms and led her to the living room.

" Colours." I nodded her head.

" Alright. You go sit on the couch while I get the book and crayon, hm?"

" Okay, thank you." She nodded, jogging back downstairs while I returned to her room.

Her colouring books were endless. They took two parts of the shelf and most of the were finished. I took out one of our recent ones and took the crayons from her drawer.

" What's this?" I frowned when a piece of paper fell onto the floor.

It was a drawing of what I assumed was a family. Danny was in the middle, her father was was by the right, as well as some other man. Her mother wasn't in the picture though and I honestly felt a bit sad for her.

Danny rarely spoke about her mother and even when she did, there was that cold and sad expression on her face which she tried very hard to hide. I noticed it of course.

Nothing ever gets pass me.

" What are you doing?" My sould nearly left my body at the sound of a voice.

I gently picked up the paper and put it back into the drawer.

" Nothing really." I turned to meet Anastasia standing by the door. I didn't even know she was here today.

Her eyes swept over my body in disgust, her mouth forming a mean scowl. She was dressed in a pair of tight, black leather pants, a very short and tight peach crop top with peach heels to match it. Her breasts looked like they'd spill right out of the shirt but she didn't seem to mind.

In fact, it looked like she liked it.

" Danny needs to sleep early this evening. I'm taking her somewhere for the week. You don't need to come unless I call you, understood?" She raised a brow.

" Yeah." I nodded and walked past her.

I could hear her heels clicking behind me and tried not to imagine her stabbing me with a knife from behind. It was hard not to because I could feel her piercing gkare burning holes through my knitted sweater.

I placed the book on the table in front of the couch where Danny sat, too engrossed in the cartoon to notice. Anastasia strutted out of the house without a word, leaving Danny and I all alone again.

We began coloring together soon after, not really saying a word and just chuckling when something funny happened on tv.

" Lola?" Danny called softly, a small smile on her face.

" Yes, Danny?"

" Do you have a best friend?" She asked.

" Yes, I do." I nodded as an image of Skye immediately popped up in my head.

" Do you?" I asked her.

Danny stayed silent for a while, her eyes holding a distant look.

" Yes. He's very nice...and fun." She added the last part, a soft pink coating her cheeks.

He?

" Well my best friend is a girl. Her name is Skye. What's your best friend's name?" I smiled.

" Damien. He's my cousin actually. But he's my bestest friend." She smiled.

" We don't get to see each other a lot though." She added sadly.

" Why not? Isn't that where your mother takes you?" I frowned.

Danny sighed and dropped her pink crayon with a pout.

" No. She takes me somewhere else. I don't know where." She shrugged.

" What do you mean you don't know where?" I was really starting to feel worried about Danny.

" I don't know. I just open my eyes and I'm there." She picked up her crayon and began colouring again, as if she had just said the most casual thing ever.

The little girl had no idea how that statement gave me goosebumps.

" So how often do you see Damien?" I tried changing the subject.

" Sometimes on his birthday. Sometimes on my birthday." She said.

" That's very little." I mumbled sympathetically.

Damien was the one person she ever spoke about to me with obvious happiness besides her father but she isn't even allowed to see him that much.

" How old is this Damien?"

" He's four too. " She smiled.

" Don't worry, You'll meet him one day. I want you to see him." She added, making my heart flutter.

" I'd love to meet him too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~