FIFTY-FIVE

MATTEO

                                 🌼 🌼 🌼

" Isn't Danny supposed to be back by now?" Charlotte pursed her lips, turning on her bed to face me.

I chuckled softly and moved closer to her, twirling a lock of her soft curls around my finger. I found it adorable how attached she was to Danny. They had been pretty much stuck to each other since last night and even now she wants her by her side.

" Fiore, it's 2pm. Danny won't return today till 4. She has swimming lessons, maybe you should take them too." I winked jokingly.

She rolled onto her stomach and pouted, letting out a sigh.

" Oh right."

" Don't be so sad, you have me to keep you company. We can do anything you want before then." I gently grabbed her hand and began pressing kisses onto each knuckle. Her skin was so warm and smooth. So creamy.

" Hm. How about we get to know each other more? I know nothing about you."

Her words made my smile drop. I wasn't ready to tell her about myself. I mean...even my real work alone was enough to frighten her.

I mean, I could probably tell her that I owned a few bars and hotels but I couldn't hide everything from her forever. She'd find out one day and the last thing I wanted was for her to learn through anyone else.

Especially my parents.

" We can't be a thing when we don't know anything about each other Matt. It doesn't work that way. Unless, you're fray sexual. Bit I'm not, so it definitely won't wor-"

" I'm not...fray sexual. Whatever that means. I just... don't think you'd want to know me." I mumbled with a frown face.

What did that mean? That I was sexually attracted to people I didn't know? Animated objects? Kids? The first one seemed more accurate so I just went with it.

" What do you mean?" She perched herself on the bed and looked at me confusedly.

" I mean...I don't know. I'm not really open about myself to people I care about." I answered honestly.

Most people who were in my line of business always tried to hide it from everyone because they were afraid of getting their hand dirty. But I didn't mind. I liked getting my hands dirty. I liked the thrill, the chases, the blood.

If a complete stranger asked me what I did for a living I could simply tell him I was a mafia don. That I dealt with drugs and killed anyone who got in my way, just for the fun.  It's probably why my parents chose me to take over.

Zac was just as worse, but he wasn't as reckless as I was. Though I'm pretty sure even if he hadn't chosen to love, he still wouldn't be the one to take over the family business.

Charlotte was different though. I didn't want her to run away from me because then I'd have to find her. I'd keep her with me at all costs until she agreed to be mine again.

I said it before, I will not accept rejection. But I also didn't want her to see me as the bad guy I was made to be.

" Matteo please. Everyone has something to hide ans if you don't want to tell me, then it's fine. I just want to know a little more about you. I'm nkt asking for everything. You'll tell me when you're ready." I felt her hand on my cheek.

She really was beautiful, especially from this angle. Her dark brown eyes were laced with concern, sympathy and... understanding? It was like she was telling me that she'd accept me even if I was a serial killer or psychopath which wasn't really far off.

" I know. What do you want to know about me?" I placed my bigger hand on hers and smiled.

Charlotte bit her lower lip and looked at the cieling , a thoughtful look in her eyes.

" I want to know what you do for a living, if you have any siblings, and how you were like before you became...a billionaire. I mean your childhood."

I knew she didn't mean to. She just wanted to know the simple things about me. They were basic questions to her but to me they were the exact things I didn't want to speak about. Ever.

" I'm a businessman fiore. I own five-star hotels, bars and a hospital." I told her.

Maybe I could keep it that way for a little while. I didn't want to scare her.

" I was exactly the way I am with you when I was a teenager. Just more, reckless. I also have one older brother." I continued.

Charlotte nodded as she processed what I had told her.

" What about those men that came to take Dean away? How did you know them? They looked pretty scary to be waiters or doctors."

I didn't really have an explanation to that which sort of surprised me. I was excellent at giving excuses. I was astute and could always dodge problems though I never tried to.

But why couldn't I lie to this small woman? It's not like she could beat me to a pulp. Maybe it was because I wanted to be honest with her. Or maybe it was because for once I was scared to open up.

I didn't know.

Charlotte sighed and moved closer so she was practically cuddling with me. It honestly felt nice.

" Are they bad people? " She asked quietly.

I let out a breath as I felt my chest tighten. She didn't sound judgemental or frightened. It was just a question she asked out of genuine curiosity. But it made me a nervous wreck.

" No." I sighed, swallowing harshly.

" I'm...the bad person." I bit my tongue as I awaited her response. She just moved back a bit so she could look me directly in the eyes.

" How?"

I didn't say anything for a long second, my eyes studying her face intently. She wasn't letting me read her today because her face was void of any emotion as she just stared back at me.

" How else do you think I mean?" I sighed, my fists clenching as I internally screamed at myself for saying something like that. There's no going back now.

" Do you...steal? " She asked.

" I don't think it count when what I'm taking is mine." I replied.

She only nodded her head before continuing.

" H-Have you raped someone before?" I could see the terror in her eyes as she asked that.

" God no, fiore. Not like that." I snorted lightly, though I was still very nervous.

" Then how are you bad?" She whispered.

" I...I kill."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~