THIRTY-ONE

🌼 🌼 🌼

" Are you sure this is what you want to do, Danny?" I raised a brow at the four-year old girl sitting beside me.

Danny looked at me innocently before nodding her head.

" You have your tablet. Why can't we watch Cinderella  there? " I leaned over and whispered.

" Because the Tv is bigger." She whispered back with a soft giggle.

Normally I wouldn't mind watching tv with her in the living room but with Anastasia right across from us in the kitchen, it was very uncomfortable.

She didn't like me and it was really obvious. I didn't either, especially after I cane here to find her screaming at her husband. She wasn't a good mother or wife, and definitely not a good employer.

Just when I arrived she walked over to me and threw a brown envelope with my pay in it. She did add some extra notes, probably to make me feel inferior and when I confronted her about it ( maturely), she just told me to not make her make me regret it.

Or something along that line.

She's been glaring at me and scowling at the back of my head that I could swear I have a bald spot right now.

" We could always bring the tablet closer." I mumbled even though Danny was too lost in the movie to listen.

I could still feel Anastasia's stare through the movie and I prayed silently for something to distract her or that time would speed up so I could leave her home. Thankfully, her phone rang, making her leave the living room and walk past us.

" You can relax now." Danny placed her small hand on mine.

" What are you talking about? I'm relaxed. I'm the most chill person in this room." I lied, adjusting myself on the couch.

" Okay." Danny giggled softly, returning back to the movie.

I began playing with a strand of my hair as the movie kept getting so boring. I loved Disney princess movies, but I'd watched them so many times I memorized the lines at one point.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Thanking God for the distraction, I quickly pulled it out only for my brows to draw together when I saw who had sent me a message.

I'm so sorry baby. I didn't mean to send that to you - D

I was drunk and just started typing nonsense. It's not what you think. - D

I'll come over sometime and we'll sort it out. I love you. - D

I really do love you, Lottie. - D

I rolled my eyes as I read the messages. I wasn't mad at what he was saying. Honestly, I never even gave another thought since yesterday. What bothered me was how he never stuck to one name.

I'm Charlotte, Lola, and Lotta. He can only call me two out of three. Lottie was for Nanna only.

And maybe Danny. Yes, Danny too. Even my parents couldn't call me that.

Speaking of parents, I decided to visit nanna today and if luck was on my side, I wouldn't meet them. If it wasn't however, I'd just get it over with.

I didn't bother replying to Dean's message and just left him on read. Hopefully he'd get that I didn't want to talk to him right now. I found peace in my solitude and didn't want to ruin it just yet.

Maybe I should tell him we need a break.

" Lola?"

Danny was looking at me with a small frown on her forehead.

Did I miss something?

" What is it, Danny?" I turned off my phone.

Danny pursed her lips before shaking her head.

" You're just like daddy."

" Hmm?" I raised a brow.

" You think too much."

                                     ~ ~ ~

" Charlotte. How have you been?"

Dr Theo was a man of 32. He had chestnut brown hair and puppy brown eyes. He was fairly good looking with his light stubble and  strong build. He was really nice too.

Maybe if he wasn't my grandmother's doctor I'd get along with him even more.

I stopped right beside my Nanna's door and greeted him.

" Good. How have you been? Haven't see you in a while too." I chuckled nervously.

" Been busy with a lot of patients. Your grandmother is doing better now.  I know that's what you want to hear." He chuckled.

" Yes. Thank you so much, Dr Theo. " I practically bounce on my feet.

" Save it for when she gets out of surgery safe and sound." He chuckled. Even though we hadn't found a donor yet, his words were very reassuring.

My parents were looking for a donor and Dr Theo was still helping me find one. Hopefully he'd be the one to find a successful match instead. I'd give him the money I got today and hopefully it'd be very helpful.

" She has some visitors in there so I'm just going to my office. Call me once they leave?" He asked.

I nodded, though my heart was pounding inside my chest. My parents were here and I was just a door away from them.

Dr Theo thanked me before leaving. I watched as he disappeared, wondering whether I should just leave too.

" Be reasonable." I repeated Skye's words, trying to convince myself not to chicken out.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and got in. I have to meet them someday. I just needed them to know that I was fine by myself. I didn't need them.

The room was silent when I got in. All three pair of eyes were on me even when I had taken a seat on the left side of my grandmother's bed, away from my parents.

They were not what I expected them to look. I expected some ugly, filthy people who looked down on anything and everything but I had to admit, they looked pretty good.

Expensive even.

Just like Anastasia.

My mother had dark brown eyes, just like mine, and auburn hair. She was lean and small compared to my father. I internally scoffed as I realized where I had gotten my height from. She looked quite good for a mother of a 22year old.

My father was tall, lean with ocean blue eyes and jet black hair. He sat stifly, one hand resting on my mother's thigh while the other was clenched on lap.

They were both staring at me. My father's eyes were void of emotion but my mother's was a mixture of pride and sorrow.

Who the fudge was she proud of?

" Charlotte. Your parents have been meaning to talk to you. " My grandmother began.

Why did they have to do this while she was sick? While she had no choice.

While we both had no choice.

" We were hoping you'd come stay with your mother and I for the weekend. We could catch up a bit. Even if it's just for two days. " My father began, his piercing gaze still not leaving me.

I made sure not to look anywhere but him as he spoke. As though he was commanding me and expected me to follow his order. All the while my mother had that hopeful glint in her eyes as she eagerly awaited my answer.

I took a deep breath.

" No."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~