FIFTEEN

🌼 🌼 🌼

I was more enraged than sad with what Skye told me. This guy... this son of a goat impregnated my best friend and refused to accept it. My blood boiled as I watched Skye's cheerful facade disappear, only to be replaced with rage and sorrow.

She loved this guy. It was clear as day. But he obviously didn't value her or their child. I tried to cheer her up after that. We watched a Netflix movie on my laptop and Dean joined us soon after.

Skye didn't want him to know anything about it and I didn't mind. It was her secret and she'd be the one to tell anyone she wanted. I was just going to support her and make her feel better about herself.

She said she wanted to leave as soon as the storm subsided, which was thankfully after the movie. She seemed better, but I just knew she faking it. Skye left dean and I on the living room couch.

We decided to watch another movie while eating some leftovers from what dean had made for lunch. He wasn't a good cook, he wasn't a totally bad one either. I just ate it all because I was too drained to make something myself.

Eventually Dean must have carried me to my bed because I woke up the next day in my room.

" I thought you would have gone by now." Dean opened the door to my apartment.

I didn't see him when I woke up today. There was a plate of waffles and strawberry on the counter so I helped myself after taking a bath.

I looked at him confusedly. Gone? Gone where?

" Don't you have a girl you need babysit?" Dean shrugged off his coat.

I was still confused. There was no sun in the sky today. The sun was completely hidden by the grey clouds and I honestly thought it was still early in the morning.

" W-What time is it?" I asked hesitantly. I already knew.

I was late. Today's Monday and Danny would be in school. Hopefully she wasn't back early. I had to be there before 2pm. Dean took out his phone from his jean pocket and chuckled when he saw the time.

" 2:34pm, my love." He smirked.

I stood up with so much force that the table nearly tripped over. How am I having breakfast at 2:34pm? How did I sleep in so late?

" Why didn't you wake me up?" I panicked, getting my purse from the couch and leaving the house.

Dean yelled something from behind me but I was too busy panicking to listen.

                               ~ ~ ~

You'd think I saved myself the trouble and took my car to work.

I didn't.

Anastasia was waiting for me in front of the building. Her feet were tapping the ground impatiently, her arms folded across her chest and a scornful look in her eyes.

Danny stood far behind her. Her teddy bear was in her right arm and her eyes were also on me. She didn't seem too happy either.

" Late again, Charlotte." Anastasia raised one of her perfectly carved brows.

The way she said my name didn't sit well with me. I felt my heart race faster and the anger building up within me.

" I'm not paying you to waste my time or stop me from going to work."

Work?

" You're not paying me at all. We agreed on my pay every week. It's been two weeks, where's my money?" I gritted.

I didn't like how I sounded when I asked her that but I didn't care. Anastasia squinted her eyes at me. She stepped closer, trying to intimidate me in some way but the only thing I felt was the strong urge to turn my head away.

Her perfume was too strong and sharp it sent a painful jolt in my head.

" I expect nothing more from people like you. Here." She took out a few hundred dollar notes and threw them at me.

" That's more than what we agreed on. I'll still pay you my the end of next week since you probably need it." She smirked.

I didn't move. I didn't even look at the money that had fallen on the ground. I kept my fierce gaze glued to her and remained silent, hiding my satisfaction when I saw her smug expression falter.

" You keep it. I'll wait till the end of the month. I'm not that needy." I walked past her.

True, I needed as much as I could get for my grandmother's drugs, but even she always told me to never let anyone step on me. Skye is the best friend anyone could ask for. Yesterday she left me half of the pay she was given at work for my grandmother's health.

She had more than enough groceries and suggested I used some of the money for my grandmother. I nearly cried last night because of her.

In fact, I did.

I promised myself that I'd visit my grandmother today and share the good news  with her. She would be so happy. I walked up the little stairs and approached Danny.

" Bye, mommy." Danny whispered to her mother with a small wave.

Anastasia stared at me, her teeth and fists clenched. The rage within her was evident but I couldn't hold back my smile when I saw her pick up the notes.

At least she knows their worth.

A part of me was worried that I had set a bad example for Danny. But her mother is the worst influence on her. I just put her in her place and I just hoped that Danny would mirror my confidence and not the sass.

I took Danny into the mansion. Today might be my last day with her after what I had just done and I was sure Anastasia would make me regret ever being talking back to her. She was already gone when I turned around, but I would be seeing her again.

That, there was no doubt.

" Lola?" Danny turned to me as we sat on the couch.

" Look, Danny. What happened between your mother and I is not something I'm proud of. Your mother said some pretty mean things to me and I was so mad that ..." I took a breath, feeling slightly nervous from Danny's intense, yet innocent gaze.

" When someone upsets you the last thing you should do is try to get back at them. I didn't do that. I let my anger get the best of me and it was wrong...Do you know what I'm going to do now?" I smiled.

Danny shook her head.

" I will wait until your mother gets back, and apologize for being mean." I concluded.

I didn't want to apologize. I wanted to let her know that I'm not someone she can step on. But I would do it for Danny's sake. Anastasia wasn't teaching this girl any morals, and I wasn't sure about her father. But I promised myself then that I'd try to fix this little girl. I'll make her laugh, play and love herself.

Danny didn't know it, but her self-esteem was too low for a child. She was too cautious and always had second thoughts about doing anything and everything. I had come to understand her the past two weeks and I didn't like what I learnt.

" Mean is bad." She held her teddy bear close.

I caressed her hair and smiled.

" Very bad. I just hope you can forgive me for being mean to your mother too. We still friends?" I opened my arms expectantly.

Danny thought for a while but wrapped herself around me soon after. I kissed her hair and smiled when she muttered a soft ' Yes ' in response.

" What do we do now? I mean...what were you doing on the front door when I came in?" I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

" Daddy asked me to tell mommy bye-bye." She kicked her tiny feet.

My brows furrowed at her words but right as I fathomed what she had said my eyes met his.

" Charlotte."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~