THIRTY-FOUR

CHARLOTTE

                                   🌼 🌼 🌼

I don't know how long I cried on his shoulder. It sure felt like forever though. Matteo remained silent, though his hand was on my back, occasionally rubbing up and down in an attempt to calm me down.

" You're going to have to tell me what's wrong with her, fiore. I can't help you when you don't say anything. " He finally pulled away, looking at me with concern and sternness.

I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and sniffled. Dr Theo still hadn't come out and that only made me more anxious. I pointed towards the door, a hiccup leaving my lips.

" Sh-She's dying... inside." I felt my lips quiver again.

" Patricia?" His brows furrowed.

I nodded my head vigorously, unable to get a word out of my mouth. Matteo's body went stiff for a brief second before he relaxed and let out a huff.

" Stay here. I'll be right back." He stood up and handed me a handkerchief from his suit pocket.

I took it gratefully, watching as he disappeared down the hall and into the elevator.

Where was he going?

My thoughts were interrupted when Dr Theo came out of the door. His lips were pursed into a thin line and his brows knitted together.

" Is she still alive?" I couldn't help but ask.

Dr Theo sighed, his eyes finally meeting mine. I didn't like what I was seeing one bit. And I just knew I wasn't going to like what I'd hear.

" It's getting late for her, Charlotte. She needs that donor." He started, making my heart drop with each word.

" She's unconscious now, and she won't be waking up until that surgery is done and successful. Otherwise..." He let out another sigh.

I stared at him speechlessly. It was getting late for my poor Nanna and we still haven't found anyone that can help her. Her drugs are of no use now and even my next 100 paychecks won't be enough for be enough for that surgery.

" She's going to die." I whispered, a drop of tear falling down my cheek and onto the ground.

" I'll try harder. I promise." Dr Theo patted my hair sympathetically and walked away.

I nodded my head, even though he couldn't see me and picking up the bouquet beside me. My Nanna wasn't going to be able to see me again but I hoped she could still feel my presence and hear me speak to her.

I held the roses in one hand and turned the knob. She already looked so pale, her lips were getting chapped and it still looked like she was struggling to breath.

" You could have at least waited till I told you how much I love you one more time." I dropped the bouquet beside her bed.

" I know you'll wake up." I sniffled, grabbing a hold of her cold hand.

She hasn't even been unconscious for long but I looked like she'd been for weeks.

" If I have to stay with my parents forever to get you back then I will. If I have to beg Matteo or Anastasia to lend me some money to get you back, then I will." I cried.

" You'll come back to me. I'll work for them for the rest of my life to pay my debt. I know you'll try to help me too." I smiled sadly.

" Matteo will help me. I'll do anything he says if that's what he wants." I placed a kiss on her hand.

I didn't know why I had so much confidence in him. He was a handsome pervert who liked to kiss me. But he was kind and a gentleman. A good father.

" I'll be his completely if I have to. Just hold on Nanna. I'll bring you back." I promised.

" Apologies for the delay, fiore. I had something to take care of." Matteo walked in, wiping some red liquid from his fingers with another handkerchief.

I shook my head and forced a smile.

" It's nothing."

" What did the man say?" He asked, moving a strand of gray hair away from my grandmother's cheek.

" That it's getting late." I repeated Dr Theo's words.

Matteo only nodded, his gaze never leaving Nanna's face.

" So she's your grandmother." A small smile played at his lips as he looked at her fondly.

" Sly old woman." I heard him mutter.

" How do you know her?" I asked, recalling how he had mentioned her name earlier.

" I don't. I just checked her file before I came. She was also our previous cook." He shrugged, a serious expression taking over his face.

I didn't ask him any more questions. I was too busy wondering how I'd ask him to lend me a few thousand dollars for my grandmother's surgery. That is....if I find a donor soon enough.

" Matteo?" I called softly.

He seemed almost taken aback when I did. I didn't know why, maybe it was because it was my first time calling him by his name.

" I don't think I'll be working as your nanny any more." I started.

I wasn't going to burden him with my problems just because he wanted me. It was his hard earned money I was talking about. I decided to go meet my parents first.

It's my dad's mother after all. She's family to him.

" No." His reply was firm, almost scary.

" My Nanna is dying, I have to-" I started, feeling rage bubble within me but he cut me off.

" I'll take care of that."

I froze. He was going to take care of it? How?

" I'll save her, and you're going to stay." He stated.

" A-Are you.... serious?" I frowned, watching as he walked towards me.

" Yes. But you're going to stick to your words, fiore." He lifted my chin with his index finger so I was looking right into his green eyes.

" You will be mine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~