TWENTY-THREE

🌼 🌼 🌼

" A quarter for your thoughts?"

I heard Matteo ask. I shook my head, snapping myself out of  shock. What I saw on my phone was real. It wasn't my mind playing jokes on me, and I was sure it wasn't a prank by someone I knew. I don't even know so much people.

" It's penny, Sir. Penny for your thoughts." I corrected wiping some of the cotton candy he had bought me off the side of my mouth.

" I'm pretty sure I know what I'm saying." Matteo scoffed lightly, averting his gaze as he sipped his bottle of coke.

" Is English your first language?" I asked him curiously.

Matteo looked at me, a smirk curling his lips and dropped his drink.

" Getting to know each other, are we?"

I fiddled with my hands on my thighs, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to learn more about Matteo. He seemed very... interesting. Plus, I couldn't sit here for hours and not say something. I'd much rather hear him speak than deal with the awkward silence.

" Just answer me." I mumbled with a frown.

Matteo chuckled and shook his head.

" It's not. I hate the language."

" Why would you hate something you speak so fluently?" I raised a brow.

English can be difficult, but it's not that difficult.

" It took me too months to be able to pronounce a single, stupid word and three to understand homonyms." He pointed out.

I chuckled lightly. That's always where the problem was with English.

Homonyms

" Do you have any other language you understand?" He squinted his eyes at me.

I thought for a while. I don't understand anything other than English. My father is an American and so is my mother. But my maternal step-grandmother was Korean and pretty sure my mother understands the language too.

" No. My mother understands Korean. But I don't." I shrugged.

" Is she Korean?" Matteo's brows furrowed.

" No. My grandmother is- Back to you." I shook my head, quickly remembering that I was supposed to learn more about him not vice versa.

" What about me?" Matteo asked, chuckling at my words.

I pursed my lips. I never really thought I'd speak with him. I never thought he'd be willing to actually speak with me about himself.

Now that he was letting me question him, I didn't know what I wanted to ask. I just wanted to know him.

" Why do you want me?" I asked him quietly.

Matteo didn't seem fazed by my question. He just smirked wider and bit the tip of his straw.

" I don't know. I just do." He replied.

I scowled at his reply. This wasn't what I expected to hear. He can't just want someone and expect to have that person. That couldn't possibly be his real reason.

" You do realize that you're...."

" Cheating?" He quirked a brow.

" Mhmm. It's not right." I nodded my head.

" But I haven't touched you yet. Have I?"

He propped an elbow on the wooden table and rested his head on his fist.

" You've kissed me. You shouldn't have done that." I added, feeling my cheeks heat up as I recalled how his lips met mine countless times before.

" You kiss Danny on her head all the time." He defended.

" That's different. You kiss me...on my lips." I mumbled.

" I don't remember doing that." He denied blatantly.

" Fine then. Pretend you don't remember. Just don't try it next time." I tore another bite out of my cotton candy.

" Try what? This?" He leaned over and pecked my lips.

I jumped in surprise, looking around to see whether someone had caught us. Specifically Danny. Thankfully her little plastic horse was nowhere in sight.

" You're shameless." I whispered harshly.

" What if Danny had seen you? " I gestured towards the merry-go-round.

" She didn't." Matteo responded bluntly.

" You're cheating on your wife. That's not nice." I slumped my elbows and sighed.

Anastasia was a rude person, but no one should experience such pain. I'd be heartbroken if I found out that Dean was cheating on me.

" I have a wife?" Matteo looked genuinely confused that he had me wondering whether he actually did have a wife.

He didn't like her very much, I understood that. But that didn't mean he should cheat on her. There are other ways to solve your marital problems than cheating. That only made things worse.

" Well, I have a boyfriend. If you won't consider your wife's feelings, consider my situation." I folded my arms across my chest.

" So if you didn't have a boyfriend you wouldn't refuse me. Am I right , Miss Jones?" Matteo smirked.

I shook my head vigorously.

" I still wouldn't accept you. This is fornication." I huffed.

" No one cares about that. But don't worry. I got your message. I'll take care of your little boyfriend for us." Matteo nodded understandingly.

" You will do no such thing." I said coldly.

"I can take care of my boyfriend. You kindly stay out of my relationship, Sir. " I glared at him.

" If that's what you want. But I'd be careful if I were you. " Matteo raised his hands in mock surrender.

" I'm fine, thank you."

The seriousness in his tone made uncertainty bubble within me. He looked like he knew what he was saying. Like he knew more about my life than I did. I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He could probably get all the information he wanted with a single phone call.

I just hoped he was messing with me. Because if he wasn't...I wasn't sure what I'd do with myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~