FIFTY-FOUR

🌼 🌼 🌼

Matteo was happier than I had ever seen him, and certainly more...dare I say it, romantic. He'd bring flowers to me everyday and make sure to kiss me anytime he got the chance. He became clingy all of a sudden and I wasn't really complaining. It felt nice really, he felt nice.

" Hey Lola." Danny walked up to me, her hand rubbing her eyes in an attempt to get the sleepiness out of them.

It's been three days since Matteo brought her to me and they both of them haven't even mentioned the idea of going back. It was like this was their real home instead, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't warm my heart.

" How are you, Danny?" I smiled as she sat beside me on the couch and rested her head on my laps. I dropped my phone and began playing with her hair. My conversation with Skye would have to wait.

" Fine. I miss Nanna though." She hummed.

I chuckled at her cuteness. I never thought she and my Nanna were so close until two days ago when they basically refused to leave each other's sides. Danny saw my Nanna as her grandmother and Nanna saw her as more than a grandaughter.

Even Matteo couldn't separate them when they were being stubborn. He'd just go to work and come back when he was sure we were done before taking us back to my apartment.

" She probably misses you too. Don't worry, I'll take you to see her tomorrow." I promised.

Danny smiled and held my free hand. She didn't say anything else but I knew she was elated.

" She's the best." She suddenly said. I faked a pout and forced her to look at me.

" I thought I was."

Danny giggled and held my hand tighter.

" You're the best. She's the second best then."

I placed a hand on my chest and faked a relieved sigh.

" Much better."

Danny smiled softly and placed my hand back on her hair. We remained in comfortable silence after, neither of us uttering a single word but instead enjoying each other's presence.

" She's much better than my grandparents." Danny all of a sudden stated, her smile morphing into a sad pout.

" Really? How are your grandparents like?" I asked quietly, checking her features for any sign of discomfort. I was going to meddle with affairs that didn't concern me, but I couldn't help but feel worried about this little girl in my arms.

The long pause after my question made my heart race quite fast too.

" Daddy's parents don't like me. They don't talk to me." She sat up and began fiddling with her fingers.

Matteo's parents didn't like her? How was that possible? Who could not like such an angel? A beautiful gift?

" That's not nice. " I mumbled with a frown. Danny only nodded in response.

" They aren't nice to me. "

" What about your mom's parents? They aren't that bad...right?" I pulled her closer to me and wrapped my arms around her. She just looked so sad that I had to.

" They...they try to make me, uhm...like other kids." She fumbled with her words.

" I see. They dress you up and force you to do things you don't like?" I bit the inside of my cheek to surpress the rage bubbling within me. Of course I understood what she meant immediately, I'd seen Anastasia doing the exact thing so many times to her.

" Is that why you were upset when he brought you to me? Because you didn't like how they treated you?" I cupped her face gently and tilted her chin upwards so she could look at me.

I later asked Matteo why he had brought Danny over rto me instead of taking her back home and asking me to look after her. I thought it was strange that he had to bring her to me instead and figured Anastasia wouldn't be too happy with it.

That was when he told me what happened. He didn't go into detail though, and I didn't really push him because he seemed very upset.

Maybe Danny would tell me what actually happened.

" No. I was upset because I made a mistake and mommy hit me." She began fiddling with her fingers again.

She what?

" Your mother hit you." My fingers twitched as I gritted out what she had just told me.

" Sh-She said I w-was being bad for spilling her drink but it was a mistake. I-I was tired and-"

" I believe you, angel. You don't need to tell me everything." I planted a soft kiss on both her cheeks and rested my forehead on hers.

She became a sniffling mess, burying her head in my chest and wrapping her arms around me tightly. I wondered if sge could feel my chest tightening or hear my pounding heart beat, because I was aching for the little girl in my arms.

What kind of family was she born into?

" Does your father know about this?" I rubbed her back soothingly. Danny only shook her head and held onto me tighter.

" He'll be mad and h-he won't love me anymore." Her body shook in my arms as she broke into a sob.

" Danny you know that's impossible. Your father loves you very much. He'd never hate you." I shushed her and began planting feathery kisses on her cheeks.

" But...he's going to leave me. I-I don't want to go." She cried even harder.

I furrowed my brows in shock. I couldn't understand what this girl was saying which made it difficult to comfort her. But I tried my best.

" Your father will never leave you Danny. I'll make sure of that and if he even thinks about it I'm going to smack him. So hard that he forgets even thinking about it." I smiled when I saw a faint smile stretch her lips.

" You'll never leave me too...right?" She wiped the tears on her cheeks and looked at me with pleading big, brown eyes.

I didn't even hesitate before pulling her closer to me and planting a kiss on her forehead and replying.

" Never."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay I don't get....what's happening 😬🤯

Follow _ Vote _ Comment