FIFTY-SEVEN

CHARLOTTE

                              🌼 🌼 🌼

It was honestly very hard to understand to what Matteo had just told me. He had terrible parents, lead an Italian mafia and killed thousands of lives. But how could he look so... happy all the time?

Although I've never seen how he interacted with others he was always so nice to me. Besides, mafia leaders aren't supposed to be this cheerful, are they? Matteo was just different and that was exactly why I was still finding it hard to believe what he had told me.

It was the truth though, the pain in his voice told me it was all true.

All because of a woman.

I don't know why but that was the only thing that really stuck to me. Not even the fact that he kills, I mean, he did say that they were all terrible people so I couldn't really judge. If he didn't kill them they might even do worse to others.

But that woman....

I wanted to know who she was. I wanted to know everything about her. Did she know he was in the mafia too? Was she that pretty to have broken him like that? Was she aware of his love for her and if she was, did she do anything about it?

Was she... better than me?

I couldn't help but wonder. Maybe that was why Matteo wanted me. He wanted to use me to forget about his past love and move on. He just wanted to use me.

Isn't that a good thing? My conscience asked.

If he's willing to be with you after going through so much doesn't that mean he might also love you? That you're mending him?

I gulped nervously. He'd never said something like that to me before. He just said he wanted me, but I could still feel the heat creep up my neck at the thought of Matteo actually loving me.

The kiss.

The kiss we shared earlier was better than anything I could have ever imagined. It was even better than when Dean and I kissed. I was sitting down then but I still felt like if he pulled away I'd fall. His soft lips moulded perfectly with mine, like it was just meant to be.

God, I sound so cheesy.

But it was the truth, and that kiss alone sort of made me agree with my conscience. Maybe, just maybe Matteo did love me.

Did I want that though? Did I want us to be something so serious? I mean I did agree to be his, but I also said I wanted to take things slow...

All it took was one look at my bathroom mirror to realize that I did in fact want that. I wanted Matteo to be mine as much as I was his.

I didn't want him with any other woman and I didn't want another man either.

I wanted him.

" Lola?"

I snapped out of my thoughts as Danny's voice met my ears. She stood in front of my bathroom door with a confused frown.

" Why are you smiling at the mirror?" She asked quietly.

I shook my head and chuckled awkwardly. I hadn't even realized I was smiling, but there was no way I was going to tell Danny that I was thinking about her dad.

" Nothing, I was just... thinking. How was school? I heard you had swimming lessons today." I picked her up, hoping she'd drop the subject.

Danny smiled and nodded her head as I took her to the living room. She wasn't wearing her school uniform which was weird. Or maybe Matteo took her back home to get changed.

I placed her on the countertop and brought out a pack of Oreos from my cupboard. I'd put it in the fridge if Matteo wouldn't eat it.

Danny's eyes lit up as I tore it open and handed the cookies to her in a small bowl.

" Thank you." She smiled and began digging in.

" Of course, angel. I thought you deserved it for being so good last night." I winked at her.

After our little conversation I called nanna to check in on her. She and Danny talked for hours before I finally decided to put Danny to bed for school. She didn't fuss or pout and I was proud.

Not that she was a bratty child, but still.

" Daddy said he won't come back early today. Do you want to play?" Danny smiled.

Of course Matteo had chatted me up after he went to pick her up, he said something came up and he may or may not come back today. It was disheartening really. We had just shared a passionate kiss but his work had to ruin it.

He later apologized and promised to spend some time with me once he got back. I didn't feel so sad after that.

" Of course! How about we go to...the park? " I suggested.

Danny had the brightest smile on her face  as she nodded her head vigorously while bouncing in her seat. It was adorable.

" Okay, you just wait here while I change hm? I'll be down in a sec." I told her as I headed back into my room.

Time for some quality bonding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~