FORTY-FOUR

🌼 🌼 🌼

" Is he dead?" I whispered shakily, my hands trembling as I lowered them away from my mouth.

Matteo tilted his head to the side and bent down, inspecting Dean's body for an answer.

" He's... breathing. " He replied with obvious displeasure.

I breathed a sigh of relief and quickly stretched out my hands towards Matteo.

" Well? Come here. Stay away from him, I'll go call an ambulance." I gestured for him to leave the spot.

An amused smile curled his lips but he walked over to me nonetheless. I took out my phone from my purse and stared at it for a long second.

What do I tell them?

" Are you afraid?" I heard Matteo ask smoothly. How on earth was he not terrified?!

I nodded my head and swallowing nervously. Nanna wasn't even well yet and I was getting myself into this kind of trouble.

" What if we get arrested? Danny would be so upset." I voiced out.

Matteo stared at me for a while, his eyes searching my face for who knows what. But then he smiled. He fudging smiled like he hadn't nearly killed someone. I felt him pull me by the waist, smashing our bodies together.

" Now is not the time to be a pervert Matt. My ex boyfriend is half dead." I frowned.

" What do you mean? This is my chance! You're single now. Let's focus on that." He teased.

I shook my head and pushed him away. Of course there was no way Dean and I would keep dating after what just happened. He killed someone and tried to do the same to Matteo. I dreaded even guessing what he'd do to me afterwards.

I pushed the terrible thoughts out of my thoughts, forcing myself to focus. We needed an ambulance right now.

" Don't worry. I'll handle this. You just wait inside my car." He smiled, pulling out his phone from his pocket.

I stared at him in suspicion.

" You're not going to throw him in a lake or bury him...are you?" I frowned, placing a hand on my hip. This man didn't like Dean one bit and that made me a bit sceptical.

Matteo scoffed with a smile.

" Even if I wanted to...that's not how you get  rid of a body Charlotte. Trust me."

I pursed my lips with a stiff nod,  gasping  when I heard a low grunt from behind the kitchen counter.

" Do something Matteo. Please." I pleaded.

" I have. Let's go." He shoved his phone onto his pocket and dragged me by the hand, making sure to grab his jacket from the couch.

Where are we going?

" Where are you taking me to?" I frowned as he opened the door to his car for me.

" Get in, Lola." He chuckled.

I did as I was told, frowning when I noticed a black van pull up in front my apartment. Matteo got in closed his door, obstructing my view.

" Who are those?" I frowned.

He started the engine and began driving onto the road. Where was he taking me to?

" They're going to take care of your little boyfriend. Nothing to worry about." He smiled.

" Okay...Where are we going?" I tried to change the subject, not liking how uneasy I felt.

Matteo glanced at me and then smirked.

" My place,DC  of course."

I froze. He was taking me to his place? What about his wife? Wouldn't she be upset? Wouldn't she get suspicious? Surely he wasn't planning on doing anything with me there...right?

" Why?" I asked lowering my head.

" Will you be able to sleep alone? You seemed pretty scared back there." He chuckled.

I bit my lips in response. I really wouldn't. Dean had scared the shoes out of me earlier. I'd probably have another sleepless night because of him.

" Besides, you really look like you're need some protecting." He threw a wink my way.

I felt the heat creep up my neck but chose to ignore it.

" I can take care of myself, thank you." I folded my arms and looked out the window.

We were nearly there.

" What of your wife? She's not going to be happy once she sees me here. I can always go stay with my best friend." I turned to him.

Matteo's smile faltered a bit, but it returned soon after.

" And what would your excuse be? Until your boyfriend is all better you're a criminal." Matteo pointed out, chuckling when I gasped loudly.

" I didn't do anything! He...he was the one who tried to hurt you. He's the bad guy. Not us." My palms were sweating with nervousness right now.

Dean was the bad guy. Matteo was just trying to defend himself when that happened. We were not criminals.

I kept pondering over what Matteo said all the way. He was obviously teasing me but he had no idea how paranoid I was getting.

No one knew about what happened with Dean earlier and until he got well...no one will.

Besides, he wouldn't be so stupid as to tell people what he tried to do...or what he did before he came to my house, right?

But what if he tells people lies and gets us jailed?

I gulped nervously for the umpteenth time this evening. What would I tell my Nanna?

" Just Relax Charlotte. I won't let anything happen to you . " Matteo glanced at me worriedly.

He probably sensed my anxiousness.

" Okay." I sighed, leaning against my seat as we drove past the white gates of his mansion.

" Nothing's going to happen to us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologies for this chapter. I wasn't really in the mood but just felt like I had to put something up, especially after I didn't update in a while. I'll edit it later on.

Hopefully tomorrow. Until then...

Follow _Vote_Comment!