FIFTY-THREE

CHARLOTTE

                            🌼 🌼 🌼

My Nanna was fine. She was alive and well, holding me in her arms as I cried my eyes out. I knew from the moment we got in that we were at the hospital. That irritating smell gave it all out but I never thought this was what he wanted to show me.

I couldn't deny it anymore. This man was an angel sent from above. A handsome, pervert angel but an angel nonetheless, and I liked him.

I didn't want to jump into conclusion by acting on my emotions because if I did, I'd probably do something stupid and embarrassing. As if that kiss wasn't enough.

" Relax, Lotta. I'm fine now, no need to keep crying. You're going to run out of tears!" Nanna exclaimed as she pulled me away slightly.

I sniffled as wiped the tears on my cheeks with the sleeve of Matteo's hoodie, a soft chuckle leaving my lips as she said that.

" That's not possible." I bit my lips with a smile.

" I'm pretty sure it is. Look how red and hot you've become. You're going to give yourself a headache." She kissed my now warm forehead.

" I'm sorry. I just..."

" It's okay, Lotta. I know." She held my hand gently and smiled.

I almost couldn't believe it. Matteo actually saved her! I had to thank him again because I pretty much owe my life to him now.

" I see you've become quite acquainted with my boss." She noted.

It took a second for me to understand what she meant, making my cheeks grow hotter than they already were.

" He...means well." I answered truthfully.

" Mhmm, I saw that. Just take care of him for me, he's had it very rough." Nanna smiled, though it didn't really reach her eyes. Before I has a chance to ask her what she meant the door creaked open.

" Nanna!" Danny squirmed out of her father's hold and ran towards my grandmother.

" Oh, my little pumpkin! How have you been?" Nanna cooed as she tried to lift Danny onto the bed, beside her.

" I'm fine. Daddy said you were sick and I brought you this." She stretched her hand towards Matteo who pulled out a lovely bouquet of white roses from behind his back, just like the ones he brought that day.

Nanna chuckled softly and took the flowers from him, taking a long whiff before placing it on the table near her.

" My favorite! Thank you so much." She grinned widely.

"  I thought she was asleep." I quirked a brow at Matteo.

" I did too. But when I went to check up on her she was wide awake, looking for you." He chuckled.

Nanna's brows furrowed in confusion but she still had that warm smile on her face. I loved it. She was back to her bubbly self again and I never felt happier to be in the hospital.

" I didn't know you were friends with my daughter, pumpkin." Nanna tickled Danny's side.

" Lola is my second best friend! " She giggled.

" That's wonderful! You know she doesn't have a lot of friends. She needs as much as she can get." Nanna whispered ( not so quietly) in Danny's ear.

" Seriously?!" I frowned, my face flushing in embarrassment when I heard Matteo chuckle behind me.

" Danny, Nanna needs some rest. Come on, I'm pretty sure you're still sleepy." He walked towards his daughter who clung onto my Nanna's left arm.

" No, Daddy. Please? I can sleep with Nanna, right?" She gave my Nanna the most adorable puppy dog eyes ever.

" Leave her be, Matteo. We've got a lot of catching up to do." Nanna chuckled.

Matteo seemed sceptical at first but ended up giving in. He already didn't have it in him to say no to Danny and my Nanna never took no well.

He didn't have a choice.

" You two can wait for us outside. Danny and I have a lot to talk about." Nanna shooed us away with her hand.

Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of the room as their giggles filled my ears. Matteo came out soon after, chuckling lightly.

" You really need to stop scowling."

" Why?"

" Because no one is ever going to take you seriously like that." He sat on one of the many plastic chairs by the door.

" So I just...shouldn't scowl? You know that's impossible. How else do I show my displeasure? " I crossed my arms and quirked a brow.

" I'd rather you smile." He looked at me with a small smile.

I felt my cheeks heat up even more, oh gosh I probably resembled a tomato right now.

" So... this makes us...sort of official?" I found myself asking.

Matteo pursed his lips and remained silent. It was as though he was rethinking his own proposition. I didn't want him to though. I already admitted it to myself. I liked him, and I wanted to be his.

" If you want. I shouldn't use your grandmother's condition to satisfy my desires, Charlotte. It's messed up. I want you to want to be mine. I know the fact that I'm married makes it even worse and-"

" Matt?" I interrupted his cute ramble.

He shut his eyes tightly and clenched his fists, like he was in some sort of pain and it hurt me to watch.

" Matteo?" I placed my hand on his cheeks and forced him to look at me.

" I want to."

My answer seemed to have caught him off guard because his whole body tensed up.

" You-"

" Yes. But you see, I don't want us to move too fast. You're right, you being married is what's making me so... Unsure. I don't want to be a homewrecker." I told him sincerely.

Matteo stayed silent, processing what I had just told him.

" Okay." Was all he said before leaning into my touch.

" So...will you be mine?" He asked.

" After what you just did for me? Gladly."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yayyyy!