TWENTY-NINE

ZAC

                          🌼 🌼 🌼

The man before me was a terrible mess. He rested his head against his seat, downing another shot of his vodka. I don't know how much he's had, but he's drunk off his ass. I leaned against the door frame and folded my arms across my chest, watching him intently.

There were three bottles on the desk and two on the floor by his feet.

" What did I ever do?" He balled his fists over his eyes.

I pushed myself off the frame and walked over to him, taking a seat on the leather chair across his desk.

" You're still not over it, are you?" I raised a brow.

He dropped his hands, green eyes staring back at me. His usually neat and styled hair was loose and very messy, and some of his shirt buttons were missing.

" She should have been mine! "  He slammed his fists against the table.

I shook my head, reaching for the alcohol beside him and helping myself.

" But she isn't.I pointed out, unfazed by his outburst.

" Forget about it and move on. " I continued.

He didn't say anything after, rather he rested his head on the desk and closed his eyes, ragged breaths escaping his mouth as he did.

" I told you to stop spending too much time alone." I told him, downing another shot myself.

" What difference does it make?"  He raked his hand through his hair.

I didn't respond to him. I just continued to down more shots, hoping to get as drunk as him. Hoping to be able to forget about it even for a day. It was near impossible.

It haunted me. Haunted both of us. But we just liked to try. Maybe one day we'll get lucky.

" Olivia...." He groaned, staring at the ceiling and rubbing his face with his hand.

" Charlotte."

His head snapped towards my direction, causing a smirk to stretch my lips. I tilted my head to the side, finding amusement in his reaction.

Ever since he asked me to search this girl I hadn't really asked about it ever. But these days I've been hearing about her from my neice, and I loved what I heard.

My little brother had no idea what his innocent little girl was saying about him.

" Charlotte?" He rasped out, a cough tearing at his throat after.

" What about Charlotte? Why can't she be yours?" I decided to change the topic.

I wasn't going to get drunk anytime soon, so why not manipulate my little brother before then?

Matteo held his breath, pushing back onto his seat, his eyes not leaving mine. He was confused, depressed, and vulnerable. Just how I needed him to be.

" She belongs to someone else. She can't be mine." He looked away.

" That doesn't mean anything now, does it?" I  smirked.

" I love... someone else." He clenched his jaw, his hand closing tightly halfway around the bottle.

" But you can't have her. Charlotte on the other hand...." I trailed off, watching his grip falter and his eyes close shut.

" She doesn't want me." He bit his lips.

" Since when did you care about what others thought? Are you... afraid?" I asked, knowing very well that he hated when I said that.

" I'm - not afraid." He gritted.

" Then what are you waiting for? "

" She's with someone else." He breathed out.

I rolled my eyes and scowled. If I was even the slightest right, then my brother did take an interest towards this bushy haired nanny, and this is my chance to entertain myself.

" By who? That playboy with no balls? You've really let yourself go little one." I chuckled.

Matteo growled, but I paid no attention to him.

" Take her." My words seemed to have caught him off guard because his breath hitched.

" I - "

" You can't keep letting people take what you want. " I pushed.

" What kind of father would I be then?" He frowned.

" Danny likes this girl, right?"

He nodded.

" Anastasia is a whore, no?"

He nodded his head.

" Then take her. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~