TWENTY-FIVE

🌼 🌼 🌼

I woke up early the next morning feeling oddly excited. I still had a few hours before I left for work so I decided to wash and brush my puffy curls after taking a shower. It was a long and painful process, but the result was flawless.

My usual bushy hair was styled in elegant puffs with a few sunflower hair clips holding some stubborn strands down and let some tendrils fall right beside my ears.

After I was done, I threw on a yellow, off shoulder dress that stopped above my knees, with a baby pink bow situated on the left side of my waist.

I still had a two more hours once I was done so I decided to watch some kids cartoon called, My magic pet Morphle.

It was one of the shows Danny loved to watch and she's had me addicted to it. The little girl was adorable and so was her red, ball-like pet.

My phone began vibrating and I checked to see it was Dean.

" Hey."

" Finally awake I see. What happened, Charlotte? " He grumbled on the other line.

" I'm sorry. I didn't know when I fell asleep yesterday, D. I wanted us to spend the whole night together." I apologized.

Yesterday was supposed to be special. But I fell asleep immediately I laid on his bed. I felt like a really bad girlfriend but it wasn't my fault. I was really just trying to help my grandmother.

I heard Dean sigh.

" It's fine. I'll be back at 4pm to get my things. Leave the keys under the porch. I forgot mine. Bye."

" Dean- "

He hung up. I exhaled deeply, letting my phone fall beside me as I forced myself back to the cartoon I was watching. Even if I called him back he wouldn't pick up. So it was of no use.

" I should probably go see Danny." I mumbled under my breath after a few more episodes of, My Magic Pet Morphle.

It was already 2pm anyways. Today I decided to take my car to work. Dean was right, there's no point in taking a taxi when I had my own ride.

Plus, it helped save more money.

~ ~ ~

Anastasia was home. I could tell because I spotted her flashy car immediately I walked through the pearly white gates. Matteo was home too. I pushed open the heavy front door and walked into the living room.

" Why can't you just listen to me for once!? You're always acting like I'm of no use to you..."

I heard Anastasia yell. They were arguing and it didn't sound good. I could barely hear Matteo's voice but Anastasia was screaming her lungs out, making my ears bleed even from that distance.

" Danny."

I could only imagine how scared and devasted she would be hearing her parents yell at each other. I quickly headed towards her room, finding nothing but her teddy bear on her bed.

" Danny?" I called, searching her room with her teddy bear in one arm.

There was no answer. Instead I heard light sniffles coming from the bathroom. I twisted the knob but it was locked.

" Danny? Please open the door. It's me, Lola." I knocked the wooden door lightly.

Danny didn't hesitate. She opened the door with red, puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks. Her dress was soaked with what I hoped was water and her hair was messy.

She wiped her face and lowered her head, fiddling with her fingers as she stood in front of me.

" Come her, angel." I opened my arms and smiled at her warmly.

Danny still didn't meet my gaze. But she threw herself at me, holding onto me like her life depended on it.

She let out a whimper when the sound of glass shattering echoed through the hallway.

" Let's take you away from here." I gritted.

I lifted Danny in my arms and handed her teddy to her. I didn't care what her parents thought. Danny was little and should never witness or hear any of this happening.

We walked pass Matteo's office and I felt my chest tighten when I caught a glimpse of him from the little opening. He looked so defeated and angry but his lips were sealed shut as Anastasia spewed more nonsense from her mouth.

No wonder he didn't care about her feelings. She obviously didn't care about theirs too.

My car was parked right outside the mansion so I just buckled Danny at the back and drove away.

" Where would you like to go, Danny? Ice cream?" I glanced at her through the rearview mirror.

Danny didn't say a word. She clutched onto her teddy tightly, her mind wandering off to God knows where.

I sighed and drove to the only place I could think of....

Home.

" Come on." I unbuckled her seatbelt and carried her into my apartment.

Danny sat on my couch and stared at the television. I switched it on for her, glad that some Disney princess movie was about to start.

" Thank you." Danny sniffled when I handed her a small bowl of the leftover from my grandmother's birthday cake.

I was sure he wouldn't mind.

" Your welcome, Danny." I smiled at her.

Not much was said afterwards. Danny took only half of the cake and fell asleep immediately after the movie ended. I carried her to my room and tucked her into my bed. It wasn't half as comfortable as hers but it was comfy.

I went back to the living room and began clearing up the couch when I heard a knock on my door.

" It's open, D. You know that." I answer absentmindedly.

" Charlotte?"

Matteo stood in front of my door, looking as stunning as ever. He didn't look like he just finished arguing with his wife, instead he looked like he had the best day ever. Like someone without a worry in the world. Just like the one I was used to seeing.

As crazy as it sounded, I was beginning to think that he was probably as broken as his daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~