FORTY-ONE

MATTEO

                            🌼 🌼 🌼

" We raised you better than this, Rome. Why have you been slacking off of work? This is the third time you're late to a meeting."

All eyes were on me as my father scolded me for being 2 minutes late. According to him I was always to be the first one to arrive so my authority and dedication to work was acknowledged.

I could see Zac's jaw clench from the corner of my eye. He was never usually invited to family meetings. My parents isolated him every since he made that single mistake and practically stopped speaking to him.

Lucky ass.

His presence here was the main reason why everyone was upset. To them he wasn't family, to me, he was much more. So they could fuck off.

" Why are we here?" My eyes scanned each and every ruthless person on the table.

I was the youngest person seated, but no one could speak to me in any manner I didn't like. Except my parents, that is. They all shifted in their seats and cleared their throat.

One of my uncles, specifically someone I didn't remember, stood up and adjusted his black tie. Even family meetings had a dress code....all black.

" We just wished to congratulate you on your triumph and victory against your enemies. It's been four years and the Ferraris are still on top. You are to thank for that...."

There was a silent nod of agreement from everyone, but my parents weren't half as impressed. I was 22 years old when they made me slit the throat of a 40year old man and burn his hard work in ashes.

He was their enemy, I didn't know him at all. But I was the one who had to commit murder. I killed his family as well as his entire gang. I wasn't proud of it, but it was either his life or mine.

" And?" I took a deep breath, force the impending headache down.

My uncle scowled, quickly covering it with a sinister smirk. He scratched his greying stubble and patted his protruding stomach.

" But how you are yet to bear a child is beyond us. We need an heir. Someone to take over the business when you're...gone. "

The whole table began muttering and nodding their heads vigorously in agreement. I could hear Zac mumble ' bullshit ' under his breath.

I couldn't agree more.

" I don't know what you motherfuckers are talking about. I already have a child. " I propped an elbow on the table and rested my head on my knuckles.

" Watch your mouth child!" My father roared.

I scoffed, my gaze not shifting from the chubby man who was sending daggers at me, though that stupid smirk still stretched his lips afterwards.

" Everyone knows that that girl is useless. She's not part of the family." His voice was raising with each word, so was my rage.

" She could die for all we care. What would a girl child benefit us? Unless you plan to arrange a profitable marriage." He smirked.

" I would watch what I say if I were you." I growled lowly, ignoring my parents' cold gaze.

" Or what? You'd kill me? It's prohibited to kill a family member in the meeting room or anywhere for that matter, little boy. I'll say what I like. Danielle is just a pathetic, little -"

The room fell silent as the loud booming sound of Zac's gun filled our ears. The son of a bitch was dead, his lifeless body falling onto the floor, staining the expensive white rug with his blood.

" Someone call a maid to clean that up. Burn the body." My mother sighed.

She was the only woman in the room. The only female heartless enough to earn the ' privilege ' of being apart of this family meeting.  She was simply a bitch whose heart was colder than the Arctic.

" Zaccaria, if you kill anyone one of your uncles again you're going to regret it. We have rules here, in case you don't know. Abide, or leave at once." She glared at Zac who was as calm and collected as ever.

He didn't care, as long as he had let some steam off.

" Anything else need to be addressed?" I asked, my voice echoing through the silent room.

I hummed in approval and stood up to leave.

" Your uncle was right." My mother's voice stopped me.

" My uncle is dead. Anyone who talks rubbish about my daughter will join him too. So, my dear mother, I'd also watch that mouth if I were you." I brushed past her and left the room.

They weren't going to let this slide, but the little freedom I got once I left the building was worth it. I leaned against one of the numerous cars outside identified as mine and waited patiently for my brother.

" Thanks for that." I chuckled as he unlocked the car and got into the driver's seat. I opened it and got in as well.

Zac drove us straight to the hangar where the jet was waiting for us. Family meetings like ours made us so sick to the stomach, we were always so eager to leave. This one wasn't and exception.

The only difference now was that I had someone other than Danny to make me smile after such a bitter event. In less than a few hours, I'd be my flower.

The thought itself made me smile without even meaning to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~