Part viii - Nothing is as it seems

Maximus' POV

I pulled Liam by the wrist making him turn to look at me, he looked pissed but my action made him release a breath. He ran his fingers through his hair, furrowing his brows. "I'm sorry for bringing my shit to you man, I know you want to spend time with Minnette before you leave for work. I'm sorry for this", he said looking disappointed. "It's cool, we're family bro but I gotta ask, What's going on?", I asked. "It's the same shit I told you from that day at the club. She just doesn't appreciate the things that I do for her, she wants more and it's driving me crazy", he said the last part in frustration.

"I'm sorry man. You want me to talk to her for you?", I offered without thinking. His face lit up and he nodded fast. Fuck! What did I just do? "Ok, I'll be right back, help yourself with whatever", I said then went to our bedroom.

"Amy that's not ok, you're not being fair to him", I heard Nette tell her sister. "You don't get it. Not everyone has a perfect husband like you do. Some of us have to do extra in everything just to make things happen", she barked and it pissed me off. I put a T-shirt on and went to the room they were in.

She didn't knock on our door so I returned the favour. "Amy, can you go to the grocery store with me?", I asked with a smile, she was surprised but agreed. "I'll send you the list on WhatsApp", my genius wife said with a smile. I'm willing to bet she knew what the whole trip was about. She passed Liam in the living room without sparing him a glance. I gave him a weak smile. We went to the car and I opened the door for Amy, she looked surprised but didn't say anything. I put Nette's playlist on as we drove away.

"These songs are so Minnette", she commented making me smile. "I know right? It's her playlist", I said with my eyes on the road. "So what's the deal with Liam this time?", I asked. She remained quiet for a while. "Waoh! I can't believe we're one of those couple that have a trend", she said sounding surprised. "Yap. It was declared at the last anniversary dinner", I said with a smile. It wasn't news.

"Oh god. All I want is what you guys have. You guys are perfect. I don't even get my door opened for me when we go out which we barely do since we started having kids. All he cares about is them you know? I feel neglected. Like I'm someone he comes to when he's frustrated with work and needs a release. If you ask me, I think we're just fuck buddies", she said folding her hands on her chest.

"Amy, we're not perfect. I mean we are in the sense of caring and loving each other with everything that we have but we also fight... a lot sometimes", I said and she rolled her eyes. "About what? The car keys?", she asked sarcastically.

"Yes, and the last piece of cake... oh don't forget the toilet seat too", I said playfully making her laugh. "We also fight about the distance. Me never being around when she needs a shoulder to cry on. My work kind of demands a lot from me and it's dangerous sometimes. I once went on a mission and got injured badly. I was in a coma for four months. They didn't tell her. She lost it and came to the HQ to confront me only to find me hooked in machines with a 50/50 chance of recovery. We fought through it but she wanted me to quit. I didn't, the only thing I've ever known is being a soldier and I'm good at it. She almost divorced me that year. I almost lost everything. My boss stepped in and talked her out of it...

We also fight about having kids, she wants kids but I don't. I'm scared. Every time she brings it up, I feel like I'm being choked. I hate it when I don't have an upper hand so I choose to argue my way out of it, it never ends well... all I'm trying to say is, Amy, you have an amazing thing going on between you and Liam. Stop trying to ruin it by admiring what other people choose to show you. Every relationship has flaws. We just accept them and change what we can. Do you understand me?", I asked making her nod and wiping her tears away. "I'm sorry. You guys make it look so easy", she admitted. "I know", I replied while wiggling my brows making her giggle.

We reached the grocery store and did the shopping as per Nette's list then returned home where we found lunch waiting for us. I got out of the car and opened the door for her. She hugged me tight. "It's gonna be ok. Just remember what I said alright?", I whispered and she replied with a 'yes'. We carried the grocery bags inside the house where we found Sebastian celebrating his success. He finally banged his client.

We ate and as usual, nobody seemed to mind my intake portion. "Liam, can I talk to you for a second?", Amy asked caringly surprising everyone in the room including Liam himself. "Uh, sure, lead the way", he said standing up. I gave him a thumbs-up as they left. When my eyes returned to the table, I was rewarded by a huge smile from my wife. "Thank you" she said with watery eyes making me pull her in a kiss. "Eeewww, you two make me sick", Sebastian said but I didn't care nor did Nette.

"Hello?", I answered my phone when I was about to help Sebastian wash the dishes. "Hey son, I'm trying new recipes at the restaurant and wanted your opinion on them wanna come with that wife of yours and give me a hand?", Dominitian asked making my day. "Hell yeah! We'll be there in an hour", I asked earning an approved hum then he hung up. "To think that I'm his son", Sebastian complained making me laugh. "Bro, you have a special diet, how useful can you be outside dietary stuff?", I asked making him think for a minute. "Yeah, whatever", he said going back to washing the dishes.

Liam walked in looking fresh and smelling like sex making me smirk.

Having werewolf abilities was interesting when around humans and sometimes a curse. I found myself hearing things I wasn't supposed to and even fixing things before they went sideways like today with Liam and Amy.

"Hello fellas!", he said folding his shirt to help us with the dishes. "So how was the makeup sex?", Sebastian asked surprising Liam. "It's written all over your face, don't bother hiding it", I said while putting things in the cupboard. "It was amazing", he said with pride. We did some fist bumps then finished with the dishes and everyone went their separate ways while we went to Domitian's restaurant for feasting.