Part xxxv - Short and sweet

Minnette's POV

"Hey Princess, it's daddy. I'm sorry I've been away for so long. I love you so much and I wish I could promise to be there next time but I can't. Daddy's work is very unpredictable. You see, I protect the Queen and wherever she goes I go too. It doesn't mean that she's more important than you, it's just work ok? You and your mommy are more important to me ok? I will try my best to be there for you whenever I can. I love you and Mommy very much", Max said then kissed my belly earning a kick. It made him chuckle.

"Good morning husband", i said making him look up. His eyes were full of guilt. "I'm sorry for leaving you to deal with this on your own. I know I have no right to complain about all the calls you didn't answer", he said then came to my level. Sleeping beside me. I slept on my back and his hand fell on my belly. Rubbing it slowly. It felt so good that I found myself closing my eyes and humming in approval. He got a kick too. "I see you guys like this huh?", he said with a chuckle and I nodded.

He descended slowly until his lips touched mine, and I moaned. The sparkles intensified making me want more. I pulled him by the neck ready to enjoy what I'd been craving for a long time then my stomach growled. He pulled back making me whimper. "Let's get you some lunch then I'll do whatever you want", he said while pulling me out of bed.  "What do you mean lunch?", I asked with furrowed brows. "It's 1:45 pm babe", he said and my eyes went wide with shock.

"That was a much-needed sleep. Where's Mum?", I asked when we entered the kitchen and I noticed the house was too quiet. "She went to the grocery store with Riggs, there was nothing left to eat or cook except for ice cream", he said making me start craving ice cream. I rushed to the freezer and took one ice cream cup then started devouring it. I stopped my spoon mid-air when I noticed Max staring at me with a smile. "What? Don't start with me, I can eat ice cream whenever I want", I defended myself making him laugh. "I didn't say anything babe", he said with hands up in surrender. "But you were thinking it", i said making him smile.

He made breakfast for me and then sat next to me. We ate in comfortable silence until the front door opened and Mum walked in with Riggs and Tyson struggling to hold grocery bags. "Look at you! Come hug your Mum", she said with open arms making me run to her and hug her. She felt so warm and comfy making me hold on to her longer. "You look so innocent this way, it makes me think the person I saw snoring like a broken car earlier was someone else", she teased making everyone laugh, well I didn't. "Mum!", I whined making her stop laughing. "I'm sorry my love, I'm just kidding. You know I love you Nette", she said making me smile again. "Nayeli, did you buy the whole grocery store?", Max asked while helping Tyson with the bags. "No silly, I just took all the healthy stuff that's all", she said shrugging her shoulders.

"I spent the whole day at the grocery store and you're telling me that we're going out for dinner? This is preposterous", Mum complained as I told her I wanted to go out for dinner. Eat something fancy to be exact. "Mum go change", i said then walked to our bedroom ready to slip in a fancy dress and put on some makeup.

I was finishing up on my lipstick when Max walked in looking too serious. "What wrong?", I asked my lipstick long forgotten. "I have to travel, the Faes were attached and their Luna was seriously injured. Nimerah has to go see her", he said while leaning towards the wall. "Ok then, when?", I asked hoping it was tomorrow or the day after. "We're leaving at midnight. It's the only way we will able to reach the Fairy East Pack by morning", he said then swallowed hard. I released a breath then turned to face the mirror again, praying to the moon goddess to give me the strength to remain calm. "How long will you be gone for?", I asked again. "1 week tops", he said and I nodded. I took out the makeup remover and then went to my Mum's room. Thank god she was not dressed yet.

"Mum, Max has to leave for work so we will have dinner here", I said while wiping the makeup away. "What a bummer I was about to put on the fanciest dress", she said with a smile and I gave her the one I could master which was fake. "Ok then, is pasta ok?", she asked with a happy face, I was happy that she bought my fake smile. "Yes Mum, but it has to be with chicken", I said and she nodded.

When I walked out of Mum's room I found Max at the door, he was listening to us. "Let's go pack, Mum will handle dinner", I said and went to our bedroom with Max following behind me. I started packing his bag like I usually did whenever he had to leave for work. "Nette, babe... please talk to me", he pleaded and I turned to look at him. My brave face was long gone and my tears just ran down my cheeks. "What do you want me to say? I just got you back after three months! I haven't even had a minute with you and you tell me you're leaving again. Tell me what do you want to hear from me Max", I shouted at the top of my lungs and a few minutes later Mum opened our bedroom door looking worried.

"What's going on?", she asked looking worried. I wiped my tears away threw the clothes I had in my hands at Max and pushed him out of my way, heading out without saying anything. I couldn't focus anymore. I went to the kitchen then started cooking the pasta sauce ready for Mum to come and boil the pasta. It was my happy place so there was where I decided to focus my attention. 

When the sauce was done I went outside to the backyard and sat, enjoying the breeze then the back door opened and I felt his eyes on me. "Nette, this is not easy for me either but it's my job. You knew what came with it. I never hide anything from you so please don't hate me", he said then paused, I turned and saw he was mindlinking so I turned back to the forest and enjoyed the sounds it had to offer. "I hate to leave you like this but I promise to make it up to you when I return. I love you", he said then kissed my forehead and left.